British Beat Before the Beatles

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
admin
Site Admin

Re: British Beat Before the Beatles

Post by admin »

Peter: Shakin' All Over is a grand tune. I believe the following version is by Johnny Kidd and the Pirates. Their song charted in June 1960 I believe.

Roy: Move It was also a nice number. Pity the Drifters would soon become Shadows of their former selves.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

To my way of thinking the status of a song should be judged, at least in part, by its originality, its impact on the listener and its ability to foster a new sound or new wave of music in a given era.

With these points in mind, my choice for one of the best UK performances prior to the Beatles would be Lonnie Donegan's performance of an American composition "Rock Island Line." This song released by Donegan in January 1956 is rich in history and other performances of the day took a back seat.

This song, as the story, moves along faster and faster as the train picks up speed and has the listener wishing that he or she is in the engine. Forgive me if I have fallen off the track here.

Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Not at all Peter Donnegan is sometime citied as a influence on the later beat groups.

The video of Shakin' All Over is the 1965 re-recorded version, here is the original 1960 version.

Download or play through stream click on speaker icon

HERE
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Roy. There is much more energy in the 1961 version. The 1965 is more subdued. I prefer the former.

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Here is a guy who was a big star before Beatles came along and this in my view one of his best. He successfully turned to acting in late 60s and had a very popular UK TV series. He did try and make a recording comeback in 70s but it didn't take off.

At one time he became a very successful businessman and even launched a UK TV channel called The Money Channel, he lost a lot of money ironically with the venture however.

Allegedly he was once asked to write some sleeve notes for a CD compilation of his own recordings and supposedly said "Who buys this ****"

He always resisted attempts to go back on the oldies circuit.

Pity I liked Adam

Adam Faith - Poor Me

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Hard to believe that Helen Shapiro was only 14 when she made this single (still a favourite of mine 48 years on) I was only 13 incidentally.

The Beatles played support on her national tour in late 62

Number 1 in UK in June 61

Helen Shapiro - You Don't Know

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A marvellous recording and in my view a very difficult song to sing. I concur that it is a lot to expect from a 14 year old. One of the best voices of the era without question. Thanks or the reminder, Roy.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”