46 Years Late But Clough Arrives

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
admin
Site Admin

46 Years Late But Clough Arrives

Post by admin »

Please take the time to read Roy Clough's latest article. At long last he sees The Searchers perform at The Cavern.

46 Years Late But I Made It

You can enjoy many other articles written by Roy at CLOUGH LINKS
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
paologregorio

Re: 46 Years Late But Clough Arrives

Post by paologregorio »

Fine reporting by Mr. Clough; my compliments, and congratulations on being able to see the Searchers at the Cavern!!! :D
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Losing My Religion's never odd to play :lol:
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Thanks Paul. Peter.

Werner I stated odd as a choice due to fact this was a afternoon and evening and indeed four days of celebrating the 60s.

However Matthew Street festival which runs from 08/29 to 08/31 does have various stages throughout the city now where eras other than 60s are revisted, but in the main this is classed as Beatle Week.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

royclough wrote:Werner I stated odd as a choice due to fact this was a afternoon and evening and indeed four days of celebrating the 60s.
Ah, you're right! Maybe they found some obscure 60s connection in the song that an hardcore R.E.M. fan like meself doesn't recognise :?:

I enjoyed reading your article, btw. Been to Liverpool recently, but did not visit the new Cavern, just stood outside it and got me picture taken like any good tourist with the Lennon statue! :wink:
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Roy: I really enjoyed this article. You can definitely say you saw The Searchers at the Cavern ... twice! :lol:

My question for you is are The Searchers as well received today as the first time you saw them?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

In answer to your question Peter answer is a definite yes, first time I saw them with some regret was in 1967, I never did see them in their hey day.
By 67 they were entrenched in the chicken in a basket circuit playing to audiences who really going to clubs for the gambling.
From mid 80s onwards when a promotor in UK, Flying Music, with some persuasion from John McNally, revived the package tour format nad their popularity in my view increased, as people who would perhaps not venture out to clubs were more than happy to go to theatres.

I am amazed at times that 44 years after their last top 20 entry there still appears to be a audience out there, one only has to look at their schedule.

Of course there are some bands from the 60s who can still sell out arenas, but The Searchers fall into the 2nd tier so to speak.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

For those who may want to look Hal Bruce I mention in article is from Novo Scotia and here is link to his site, some good sound clips too.

Repeatles are from Sweden and they have a good site

repeatles

hal
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

Thank you for taking us down to the Cellar, Roy!
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Roy,

Thanks in general for all the good things you bring to the table for us. Even though I often am guilty of just lurking around your sections, I always look forward to seeing what you come up with. Your work is a real highlight of the forum and I think I can say it is much appreciated by many of us. Keep it coming, Bro! :)
All I wanna do is rock!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Roy you are still young at heart and obviously a very determined man to be able to stand up all that time in the Cavern Club, just so you could be able to say that you saw your friends, The Searchers play there. That was a great story. Thank you for sharing it. I enjoyed every word of it.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Roy: Just in passing, did you get the opportunity to ask and of The Searchers how they found the event?

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Thanks for comments very much appreciated
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Peter I gather they did enjoy the gigs but John was apprehensive at first, though he did not go into detail I suspect it was mainly the fact that the Matthew Street Festival which runs from Aug 29th to Aug 31st is free to the public and loads of groups appear mainly tribute bands.

Even the Cavern as can be seen from poster had a different group on every hour for 12 hours for only £3 whereas it was 5 times that to go see Searchers, I suspect he thought that people may decide it was not value.

But whilst many of the groups are very good, they don't have that bond, for want of a better phrase, that a group with still 2 original members, unless we are pedantic, would have with a certain age group.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

I am at the front near enough!

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”