Cover The Hits #22

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
admin
Site Admin

Cover The Hits #22

Post by admin »

From David Bailey. Welcome back David. Thanks for your submission.

Cover The Hits #22
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Re: Cover The Hits #22

Post by royclough »

Yes welcome back David and hope you continue to take part, as you came to the party late you may have missed the criteria or rules if you wish to perceive them as that.

This does not fit the criteria though willing to be corrected, but no big deal.

Possibly Alseep At The Wheel as a wild stab

For clarification and for others who I hope will particiapte in this bit of light relief from the rigours of life.

"Hope you will all take part in Covering The Hits or CTH on Clough's Classics, I will revert to the format used here rather than sending me a private e-mail.

Main criteria is song has to have been a hit in 60s or 50s, by hit I mean made top 50 in US or UK.

Hit of course does not necessarily mean original. I'll widen scope for others so that you can choose acts from any era as long as main criteria. Thanks to Peter for his efforts."
nick_allen
Veteran RRF member

Post by nick_allen »

Sounds rather like Michael Nesmith - if it is, I imagine it would be under his own name, rather than as the Monkees! (though you never can tell...)
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Waiting for David to say whether right or wrong, let's get some more playing too.
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

royclough wrote:Yes welcome back David and hope you continue to take part, as you came to the party late you may have missed the criteria or rules if you wish to perceive them as that.

This does not fit the criteria though willing to be corrected, but no big deal.

Possibly Alseep At The Wheel as a wild stab

For clarification and for others who I hope will particiapte in this bit of light relief from the rigours of life.

"Hope you will all take part in Covering The Hits or CTH on Clough's Classics, I will revert to the format used here rather than sending me a private e-mail.

Main criteria is song has to have been a hit in 60s or 50s, by hit I mean made top 50 in US or UK.

Hit of course does not necessarily mean original. I'll widen scope for others so that you can choose acts from any era as long as main criteria. Thanks to Peter for his efforts."
Sorry Roy. You're right, it is just outside the criteria although I didn't realize it until I'd done some more research. It was a massive hit in 1947. #1 on the pop and country Billboard charts in the USA albeit by two different artists.
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

nick_allen wrote:Sounds rather like Michael Nesmith - if it is, I imagine it would be under his own name, rather than as the Monkees! (though you never can tell...)
You're correct Nick. Nesmith's voice is certainly quite distinctive. I believe it was recorded during the sessions for either Magnetic South or Loose Salute, his first two albums with the First National Band back in 1970.

I'm sure we all remember the two (minor) hits from the two albums, Joanne and Silver Moon, respectively.

Here is the Wiki on the song itself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke!_Smo ... garette%29

This cover went unreleased until about ten years ago on the Camden two-fer of Nevada Figher / Tantamount to Treason, his third and four solo albums originally recorded for RCA.

To clarify Roy, does the cover also have to be a hit?

Cheers all,

Nice to be back.

db
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

No David cover does not have to have been a hit, Nesmith was a good one have a number of his solo albums but ruled him out.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”