Linda

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Linda

Post by kiramdear »

I just discovered this little gem. Can anyone tell us who did the original version, or who this song was written for? (I bet Roy knows. :wink: )

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aiT4y-Kt4k4&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aiT4y-Kt4k4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Thanks to The Curmudgeon for hipping me to this classic. :wink:
All I wanna do is rock!
beatlefreak

Re: Linda

Post by beatlefreak »

According to the website Song Facts:

"Linda" is Linda Eastman, a celebrity photographer who was married to Paul McCartney from 1969 until her death from breast cancer in 1998. The song was written by Jack Lawrence, who went on to write many classics, including "All Or Nothing At All" and "Tenderly."

Lawrence was serving in the U.S. Maritime Service in Brooklyn in 1942 when he wrote this song. On his website, he tells the story: "My attorney at the time was also a close friend whom I visited often and got to watch his children growing up. One day he said to me: 'Jack, do me a big favor. You know my wife Louise has a name song — that one popularized by Chevalier, and my daughter Laura is proud of that beautiful Mercer-Raskin song, and my son Johnny has lots of name songs he can claim. But my daughter Linda feels left out. How about writing a song especially for her?' Being a good friend, I obliged and wrote a song for five-year-old Linda."
Ka is a wheel.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: Linda

Post by jingle_jangle »

:wink:

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”