Young Girl- An Alternative

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
royclough
RRF Consultant

Young Girl- An Alternative

Post by royclough »

Searchers as they are today with their own arrangement of the classic Young Girl by Gary Puckett and The Union Gap.

It is one of those you will either love or hate I have to add. They still do this number in the act today but have altered arrangement slightly, I prefer this from when they first started to do the number. taken from a rare limited unofficial release "Live In Germany"

kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: Young Girl- An Alternative

Post by kiramdear »

Thanks, Roy. This is a great song and I like this version of it. I thought I saw your face in this slide show - did you put this together? :)
All I wanna do is rock!
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Dear song, get out of my mind. Please. Now. Rrright now!
Sorry, but to me it sounded awful rather than awesome. Way too pathetic, in my view. Sorry, no offense meant.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

royclough wrote:Searchers as they are today with their own arrangement of the classic Young Girl by Gary Puckett and The Union Gap.

It is one of those you will either love or hate I have to add. They still do this number in the act today but have altered arrangement slightly, I prefer this from when they first started to do the number. taken from a rare limited unofficial release "Live In Germany"

Roy, the quality of this live recording seems to be much sharper and clearer than the live CD's that have been made available over the past few years. Is it from a different source?
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I think it sounds great! Thanks for posting the arrangement Roy! :D
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Thanks for response

Kiri - Yes all the Searchers stuff if montages that is posted on here I put together.

Sheena- Perfectly acceptable of view, a very dear friend of mine of over 50 years said "sorry but I think it's rubbish" when I played it him a few years back.

David- Yes it is from a different source and a different arrangement, the live cd's are mixed by Spencer James and frankly there has been too many of them though last one was slightly better.
nick_allen
Veteran RRF member

Post by nick_allen »

A bit in two minds, on first hearing... What did strike me, showing my age, I suppose, is that this would have been a great number for the original sixties Searchers to have done - I could really hear that...
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

I'm with Sheena on this one. They did this when they played the Rams Head in Annapolis Maryland about 4 years back. It was the only song in the set that I didn't like.

Maybe I've just heard Gary Puckett's version once too often...
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

I agree, it's not one of my favourites, it is just not a song that adds to the performance. I would rather they replace it in their shows with one of their earlier songs, eg as mentioned in The Searcher's Forum, " He's got no Love " even "Farmer John" or "Bumble Bee", at least these are songs we relate to The Searchers.
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

Although I think this performance is OK, I never liked this song much. It's not a Searchers kind of tune, it's more a Spencer James tune. Although I aknowlege Spencer as a good choice to get the Searchers going through the last 20 years of their career, he's not a maintainer of their traditional "warm" sound.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Einar correct most of the new numbers added to the act since Spencer joined primarly Young Girl, It's Only make Believe, The Rose had been recorded by Spencer James though never commercially released though they were vailable after he joined for a limited time on a CD called Days Gone By.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”