You're My Number One

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
royclough
RRF Consultant

You're My Number One

Post by royclough »

Always felt Tony Jackson was shabbily treated in some ways by The Searchers, he was without doubt the lead singer on first two albums and first two singles.

Their producer went with Pender and Curtis on vocals for Needles and Pins and TJ never got a look in after that, plus he and Chris Curtis could not get on apparently. Rumour has it that it was CC who really got rid of TJ and Pender and McNally didn't argue.

The Searchers biggest hit in States did feature TJ's lead vocals on Love Potion Number Nine

TJ only had one hit, but made some fine singles, here's one of my favourites, I was pleased that I eventually got to meet him in 2002 but sadaly he passed away a year later, he was also a talented sketch artist.

chriscurtisfan

Re: You're My Number One

Post by chriscurtisfan »

I've heard TJ singing Needles on Swedish radio sessions. To me, his voice took over Mike's. The harmony of Chris and Mike sound perfect on all other versions of Needles. In my opinion, Chris and Mike harmonies were beautiful, no matter what they sang together. Chris was treated shabbily by the others, as well, at the end of his time with the group. Thus he subsequently left and we all lost an incredibly talented member of The Searchers. RIP Tony and Chris. :(
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
einar
Veteran RRF member

Re: You're My Number One

Post by einar »

Great surprise Cheri! Enjoyed your Chris tribute site, spent an hour there on my first visit! Will visit again. Chris' talents were very special, still undeveloped. I who have nothing is a beautiful delivery, both from singer and band. I think Frank Allen serves Chris and his memory well in his book.

Roy: A grave mistake to reduce Tony's influence so radically for The Searchers' 3rd LP. He must have felt humiliated. One of the group's greatest assets was the joint singing abilities of Tony, Mike, Chris (and even John). Maybe the fate of the group had looked different if this advantage had been fully developed and appreciated. Taken care of..!

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”