US V UK 11

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
royclough
RRF Consultant

US V UK 11

Post by royclough »

Garry Mills(UK) just piped the Garry Miles (US) version on last one , thanks to all who voted in this bit of fun.

I have decided to use up the ones I had lined up, so at risk of boring you here's number 11.

Tony Orlando had a minor hit in US with this, making number 39, song was covered by Billy Fury in UK, who meant nothing in US, it is probably the song he's best remembered for, though he had loads of hits in UK his version went to number 3.

Your choice

nick_allen
Veteran RRF member

Re: US V UK 11

Post by nick_allen »

NO CONTEST!!! :D
Billy Fury is my absolute favourite pre-Beatles UK "pop" performer (followed by Joe Brown).
And I do find his version of this song vastly superior to Tony Orlando's...
(Nick Lowe did a good version of it, too.)
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

Wow, this is tough for me. :? I'm an advid Tony Orlando fan and on the US side of the big pond.

I would like to be a fence sitter, but I know that won't work here! :-) :wink: Having never heard Billy Fury's version (although I certainly know his name well!!) I like his voice and the range he goes in this one, and I really like his background singers, they sound like men, and their lower voices are more appealing to my ear. I enjoy that specific part of the song (the background singers) vs the TO version with the female background singers, sooooo that means my vote goes to Billy Fury! Thanks Roy, for posting what you have already lined up.

I have truly been enjoying this exploration of US v. UK and appreciate your work. :)

Cheri
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

This one is easy; Billy Fury. He was a great performer and it's a shame that he didn't make it on this side of the pond. I love his version of "Nothin's Shakin' But The Leaves On The Trees".

Nick is right about Nick Lowe's cover from the mid '70's, it's also a very good version.
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Bill by a longshot here!
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Someone on another forum I post this to, stated that this was a waste of time and that as a contest was a non starter as people would only vote the one they were familiar with.

I politely pointed out that
1 It is not a contest, merely a bit of light relief each week
2 It is not always the case, that people have voted for the one they are familiar with
3 It give those in US chance to hear the version that was a hit in UK and vice versa
4 I also pointed out it is meant to be fun take it or leave it

Billy Fury won hands down last week and as those voting as diminshed I will post a 2/3 more I had lined up and then bring it to a end.
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

royclough wrote:Someone on another forum I post this to, stated that this was a waste of time and that as a contest was a non starter as people would only vote the one they were familiar with.

I politely pointed out that
1 It is not a contest, merely a bit of light relief each week
2 It is not always the case, that people have voted for the one they are familiar with
3 It give those in US chance to hear the version that was a hit in UK and vice versa
4 I also pointed out it is meant to be fun take it or leave it

Billy Fury won hands down last week and as those voting as diminshed I will post a 2/3 more I had lined up and then bring it to a end.
Roy, I'm a prime example of a person in the US who has heard only the US version -- if memory serves me, I have picked the UK version, even when I had never heard it before!!.

I have viewed this as a lot of fun, not a contest!! Me thinks that person is simply jealous that he/she didn't come up with idea first. How rude. :roll: This has been a lot of fun, and here I am, first thing Saturday morning looking for your US v UK offering! We appreciate your work, and I thoroughly enjoy reading everybody's comments, as I learn something about the music and that is a VERY good thing!! :D Thank you for doing the US v UK!!

Cheri
CCF Forever
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”