US V UK 12

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
royclough
RRF Consultant

US V UK 12

Post by royclough »

In February 65 The Reflections, a Detriot band, had a minot hit in US with this making number 55.

In May 65 The Rocking Berries, who meant nothing in US, took this to number 5 in UK

No contest for me but we'll see

JeffZ

Re: US V UK 12

Post by JeffZ »

Nice to hear a couple of records I hadn't heard before Roy. I think both of these versions are very good, I'm going to give a slight edge to the Reflections, mainly because I liked the arrangement a little more. It's quite different from their one major US hit, "Just Like Romeo & Juliet" (1964), which was almost a throwback stylistically to the doo wop records of 1950's.

Though The Rockin' Berries never made it in the US, their guitarist, Geoff Turton, had a modest American hit with "Baby Take Me in Your Arms" after he had left the group and gone solo (1968). The record was released under the name "Jefferson".
nick_allen
Veteran RRF member

Post by nick_allen »

Close, but I think I lean towards the Reflections as well... Just a bit more interesting. (I'd completely forgotten this song!)
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Rocking Berries.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

I like The Rocking Berries verision. When I first listened to The Reflections verision, I immediately thought of Sam Cooke's Chain Gang.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

Well, as a fence sitter, never heard either songs (although I loved "Just like Romeo and Juliet") -- loved both versions of this one. I tend to go to the UK version, as I'm British Invasion biased. SO I tossed it to my husband, Rick -- he preferred the Rockin Berries! And so the Brits get my vote again!

Thanks Roy, for treating me to a great "new" song!!
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I absolutely love the melody of Poor Man's Son. While I first heard it sung by the Reflections (with a touch of Beach Boy's style) I certainly give the nod to the Rockin' Berries (with a touch of the Fortune's style) in this head-to-head contest.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

REFLECTIONS ...for better everything.

Lead vocal sounds more distinctive, harmonies are good, and the arrangement pops just a bit more.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Rockin' Berries lush vocals are more memorable for me than the ingenious arrangement of the Reflections. I never heard this song before, either. Thanks, Roy! :)
All I wanna do is rock!
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

To be honest I didn't expect Reflections version to get any votes over Rockin' Berries, clearly wrong, but overall the Rockin' Berries won by a handsome margin.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”