US V UK 13

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
royclough
RRF Consultant

US V UK 13

Post by royclough »

The Contours took this to number 3 in US in September 62 but it did not chart in UK.

In September 63 Brian Poole and The Tremeloes went to number 1 in UK with their version,they did not make any impact in US.

The Dave Clark Five did make number 30 in October in what was their first vocal single.

The DC5 version also made number 11 in US in May 64, though it was released after they had already had two big hits in US.

There are some in UK, especially in Liverpoo,who would claim that the best UK version of this song was by a Liverpool Group, Faron's Flamingos, however their record company relegated their version to the B side of their release.

JeffZ

Re: US V UK 13

Post by JeffZ »

The Contours, Brian Poole's version reminds me of Pat Boone's attempts to cover Little Richard... :wink: I do like some of the records The Tremoloes released after Poole left, especially "Suddenly You Love Me".

The Dave Clark Five's cover of this song is not bad, but the best one of all was done by Faron's Flamingos. I have it on an Edsel Records compilation called "Let's Stomp". According to the liner notes, prior to the record coming out, the Flamingos had played a gig with Brian Poole & The Tremoloes. Faron said that Brian Poole bought him a double scotch, and then asked if Faron could write down the lyrics for him. The Tremoloes rush recorded their version and would go on to have the big hit...I don't know how true it is but it makes for a nice story.
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

Whew! Of the two, the one I dislike the least is the Tremeloes. They sing it way to fast, or maybe it's the presentation kind of silly, but I still prefer it to The Contours, Roy. I even checked out Faron's Flamingos -- that didn't work for me either. I guess I am just hooked on the DC5 version. For me, they nailed it. And it didn't hurt any of the DC5 music that Dave Clark was so darn cute! :) (However, not as cute as my favorite Drummer, Chris Curtis. If nothing else, I'm loyal!)
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
its-sylviab

Post by its-sylviab »

Hmmm... I like The Dave Clark Five version better than the other two this week Roy as I think Brian Poole and The Tremeloes sing it too quickly. The speed Brian sings Do You Love Me? at these days is better but if I have to pick one, then I'll go for Brian Poole's version this week!
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Liked both, but the Contours' version has more life to it, in my view, so my vote goes to them.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Contours get my vote, too. Great all around sound and feeling. Not sold on the Tremeloes at all.
All I wanna do is rock!
nick_allen
Veteran RRF member

Post by nick_allen »

Brian Poole & the Tremeloes - despite the painfully coy spoken introduction. I'm sure Brian P. was cringing all through it (and heaven knows how many takes there may have been...)
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

Neither is great, but the edge goes to the Contours for putting the definitive spin on this one.

The Tremeloes have some gorgeous instruments though! But man, is their version vanilla with extra vanilla!
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Well based on votes here and on another forum Contours took 61% of the vote.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”