us v uk 14

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
royclough
RRF Consultant

us v uk 14

Post by royclough »

I'll try and keep this going till 20

In Sept 62 Jimmy Clanton had his last hit (top 40) in US, with this making number 7.

In Oct 62, Mark Wynter, a clean cut UK pop star, in the teen idol mould, had his biggest hit with his cover version, peaking at number 4 in UK.

Wynter meant nothing in US and vice versa, Clanton did make UK top 50 with one single, for one week only in 1960, making number 50.

Last edited by royclough on Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
nick_allen
Veteran RRF member

Re: us v uk 14

Post by nick_allen »

Well of course Mark Wynter's is the version I'm familiar with, but I do quite definitely prefer his version - just a better performance all round.
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

Though I'm more familiar with Jimmy Clanton, I'll go with Mark Winters as I liked his vocal.
its-sylviab

Post by its-sylviab »

Out of the two versions of Venus in Blue Jeans, I prefer Mark Wynter's as I find his voice a bit more 'tuneful' than Jimmy Clanton's and I also think the intro is better. I also like Mark Wynter's version because it reminds me of my growing up years and was amongst the many records that my parents had, as they were both lovers of 50s and 60s music and I remember my aunt babysitting when my parents went to shows before I was old enough to be allowed to go too.

As a teenager I liked Mark Wynter and I also liked his contemporaries... Craig Douglas, John Leyton and Jess Conrad, to name three of them but John Leyton was my favourite out of the four of them!

PS: Oops sorry, a bit of a long answer when you only asked which song was preferred!
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

Roy, you are making this tough on me! I was 10 years old when Jimmy Clanton came out with this extremely popular song on my side of the pond! And I loved it. It's not that I dislike Mark Wynter's version -- because he does a great job as well. I just so identify Jimmy Clanton to this song, I'm going to have to the lone wolf and go with his.

Kind of like Needles & Pins belongs to the Searchers, for me, therefore nobody else could ever measure up on that tune!!

Thanks for sharing the Mark Wynter version! I thoroughly enjoy hearing the Brit version of these tunes!!! Both great versions, but I have to go with the one that takes me back to the 60's! Now, if I could just get to the 60's and remain, life would be complete!! :D
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

if I could just get to the 60's and remain, life would be complete!!

I think a lot would agree Cheri
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

:lol: I prefer the Mark Wynter version; he's a much better singer. But the arrangement was hipper in the US tune - still I'll give it to the UK for better singing.
All I wanna do is rock!
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Jimmy Clanton.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”