US V UK 16

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
royclough
RRF Consultant

US V UK 16

Post by royclough »

In August 64 this was The Four Tops first US hit, it did not chart in UK.

In November 64 The Fourmost a Merseybeat group made the top 30 with their cover.

Sadly guy singing lead on Fourmost version Mike Millward passed away two years later from Leukemia, also guy in middle Brian O Hara was to take his own life in 1999, sad.

nick_allen
Veteran RRF member

Re: US V UK 16

Post by nick_allen »

Have to give that one to the US and the Four Tops - actually, I'm surprised to learn their version wasn't a hit in the UK - it's very familiar.
its-sylviab

Post by its-sylviab »

I prefer The Four Tops version of this song! Even though I wasn't a big fan of their music, I did think this was one of their better songs. The beginning of The Fourmost's version sounds a bit on the 'weak' side and improves 30 seconds into the song, whereas The Four Tops version sounds consistently good throughout, so this week I'm going for the US version!

Thanks Roy :o)
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

I'll have to make it unanimous (or at least so far) and go with the Four Tops. The Fourmost's version sounds like a carbon copy to me, good, but there's nothing original about it. I like the group though, their cover of Lennon & McCartney's "I'm In Love" is a rarely heard Merseybeat masterpiece.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

I agree on I'm In Love Jeff, though it was offered to Billy J Kramer first and he did record it but couldn't get the high notes.

Years later his version appeared on a compilation CD with chat and he can be heard saying "I can't get it John"
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Yup, so far it's unanimous...the Four Tops. And for the same reasons cited above.
JimK
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

royclough wrote:I agree on I'm In Love Jeff, though it was offered to Billy J Kramer first and he did record it but couldn't get the high notes.

Years later his version appeared on a compilation CD with chat and he can be heard saying "I can't get it John"
I used to have that CD myself Roy. At one point, you can hear John say something (in a good natured way) to Billy J which sounds like "Adam Faith ya fool!"
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

I'll be the voice of dissent here and cast my vote for the Fourmost. I like what they're trying to do with the song.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

A worthy job of it from the Fourmost but The Four Tops own this song forever. Couldn't be better. 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Four Tops.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

Oh God, another tough one -- being that one who owns the song for me is -- Johnny Rivers!

He did an amazing cover. Don't know if his music made it to the UK -- but he was very hot here on the US side of the big pond and all his music was wonderful.

Of the two posted, I will give my vote to the 4 Tops, but the UK version is just as good, although new to me.

Thanks, Roy!!
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

I recall a french singer called Johhny Rivers, this does not look like him though
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

No, Roy, our Johnny Rivers had no French accent. But he had a ton of hits in the 60's!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... ivers&aq=f

Too bad our JR never made it across the big pond! My personal fave of our JR is Summer Rain.

I know Baby I Need Your Lovin is "owned" by The 4 Tops, according to most in the USA. But I'm always the odd 'man' out! :wink:
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
nick_allen
Veteran RRF member

Post by nick_allen »

I suspect you're thinking of Dick Rivers, Roy - who, like Johnny Halliday, I believe was/is actually Belgian. :roll:
Johnny Rivers never did anything in the UK that I'm aware of, but as Cherie says, had a ton of hits in the States, including one of the definitive covers of "Memphis Tennessee", along with Lonnie Mack, "Secret Agent Man", and his own composition "Poor Side Of Town". Also a great album, "Live at the Whiskey A GoGo", which I think was actually a "fake live" (added-on audience sounds) but none the worse for it :)
modrock

Post by modrock »

Four Tops for me Roy. It was one of Motown's best and Levi Stubbs' voice will forever be associated with the song. I do like some Fourmost songs, they were a great Merseybeat group. And Johnny Rivers, well he was more of lounge lizard doing covers on his ES-335 than a serious musician :lol: ...only my personal opinion of course... 8)

Gary F ( modrock )

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”