Hank Interview

Post by kenposurf »

Track by track of The Shads first Lp
http://www.musicradar.com/totalguitar/h ... ack-288282
royclough
RRF Consultant

Re: Hank Interview

Post by royclough »

Thanks for that George enjoyed reading it, need to revisit a couple of tracks as I always believed Jet Harris took lead vocal on one track. Saw Jet and spoke to him briefly last week, regretfully he is not a well man, has throat cancer but still doing a pretty long tour as part of a show called Born To Rock N Roll which stars two other stalwarts of British rock, who did not mean a thing in US. Eden Kane and Marty Wilde.

Here's Jet in his prime

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Some very nice information here. Thanks George. At last one mystery is solved for me. I have never felt that Nivram had a Stratocaster or Burns tone. Hanks comments are interesting and open the door for some of the tones on other tracks as well. The role of Gretsch in the Shadows' music may be a small one but most significant.
This jazzy number features great dual electric guitar work from Hank and Bruce Welch and a throbbing walking bass solo from Jet Harris: "I used a Gretsch on Nivram to get more of a jazzy tone," says Hank. "It had a fairly 'clacky' sound when you dug into it... a different sound from the Strat. I think Bruce used his Gretsch as well. I had a Country Gentleman and he had a reddish, orange colour Gretsch [a G6120]. I think he probably used that. I don't know for sure. Nivram has stood the test of time. I still enjoy playing it."
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

I'm sorry to hear Jet Harris is ill. Back in my bass playing days he was a real favorite of mine. I wore myself out in front of the stereo trying to teach myself "The Man With The Golden Arm". Great record. And he and Tony having a bass/drum duo was such a great idea; it's tragic his car accident completely derailed his career.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”