30 Years...

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
JeffZ

30 Years...

Post by JeffZ »

30 years ago tonight, I was suffering from a very bad cold and hit the hay early. Around 11:45 that night, my Mother rushed into my room, awakened me and told me that John Lennon was dead.

I will have to forgo describing my reaction as the night went on; it's amazing but all this time later it still hurts somewhat. I can honestly say since I was 4 years old, I have been a dyed in the wool Beatle fan and it's about the only thing that's remained constant ever since. I know some of the folks who post here were blessed enough to have seen them right at the very start. I might never have touched a guitar if it were not for them, and I certainly would never have heard The Searchers or The Kinks if the Beatles hadn't kicked down the door.

Thanks John.
billydlight

Re: 30 Years...

Post by billydlight »

I found out on the bus the next morning. I was 11 and I cried inconsolably all day :(
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: 30 Years...

Post by jimk »

The Eighth of December fell on a Monday in 1980. I think it was my usual day off at work. At first I hoped it was another hoax, like the one that went around about Paul's death years before. But as the day wore on, I realized it was the truth. And I felt like some one had hit me below the belt.
JimK

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”