ORIGINAL V HIT

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
royclough
RRF Consultant

ORIGINAL V HIT

Post by royclough »

Here's something that may be abit of fun, we've all heard many times, when someone has a hit with a old song, "It's not as good as original"

So whilst this somewhat of a variation on a theme so to speak we'll see how we go, for clarification if I keep this going any reference to Hit version is based on the UK charts, in some cases original was a hit in US but not in UK.

Here's one that is actually synonomous with the famous Cavern in Liverpool, as original was apparantly played every night as the final track.

Also hit version released 3 /4 years later was by a group very much associated with Cavern.

ORIGINAL

HIT
royclough
RRF Consultant

Re: ORIGINAL V HIT

Post by royclough »

Version of I'll Be There on U tube is re-mixed stereo version

Peter did a very good analysis and may wish to expand on these two very early takes and the original single version of the song

No need to download anything just play the stream

http://www.4shared.com/account/audio/bs ... _Vers.html

http://www.4shared.com/audio/PEoEtWr9/1 ... ersio.html

http://www.4shared.com/audio/WWm9XJ50/2 ... gle__.html
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

I will pick the YouTube stereo version -- I'm a big fan of stereo, and I like the music/strings arrangements that comes along with that Gerry version. I don't believe I ever heard the Bobby D version, but I prefer any of Gerry's over Bobby. I AM a Bobby D fan, but not in this case. When I was a kid, I could only afford the mono. Stereo was $1 more USD, and I couldn't afford it on my babysitting money! So now, I love being able to hear the voices separated out from the music, or however they separate it. I know it varies. Thanks for coming up with this, Roy. I have really missed your comparison of UK v US; so this, very nicely, fills a void for me!! Thank you for the work of putting it up for us! Cheri/CCF
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
its-sylviab

Post by its-sylviab »

Cheri, I hadn't realised Roy was doing this new game on here... I have already chosen my favourite version of this song on My Gen... it is the same as your choice, Gerry and The Pacemakers for me as I prefer Gerry's voice and the arrangement and even though Bobby Darin wrote the song, for me, Gerry sings it better than Bobby does!
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

Let's make it unanimous on this one; the song is much better suited to Gerry's voice. Also, George Martin's string arrangement is excellent.
hamilton_square

Post by hamilton_square »

Accredited has being the shortest (at 1 minute and 39 seconds) single ever to reach Number 1 of the US Billboard Hot 100 chart. Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs 1960 doo-wop recording of STAY was also successfully covered in 1963 by Manchester-based group, the Hollies (reaching Number 8 in the UK singles charts).

At 2 minutes and 15 seconds, the Hollies high-energy version of the shorter original US recording was noticeably extended by the inclusion of an instrumental break and several repeat choruses at the end.
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

Gerry and the Pacemakers for me.... but I was never a Bobby Darin fan...
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
hamilton_square

Penned by the prolific song writing duo of Jeff Barry and Elle Greenwich, compare the original version of DO WAH DIDDY DIDDY by US vocal group, the Exciters that made little impression when released in 1963. With the Manfred Mann version that came out a little more than 12 months later and became a Number 1 hit in both the UK and US

elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

hamilton_square wrote:

Accredited has being the shortest (at 1 minute and 39 seconds) single ever to reach Number 1 of the US Billboard Hot 100 chart. Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs 1960 doo-wop recording of STAY was also successfully covered in 1963 by Manchester-based group, the Hollies (reaching Number 8 in the UK singles charts).

At 2 minutes and 15 seconds, the Hollies high-energy version of the shorter original US recording was noticeably extended by the inclusion of an instrumental break and several repeat choruses at the end.
Don't forget Jackson Brown's cover of "Stay". We backed Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs several times for appearances in Charleston in the 60's and did "Stay" and "May I"-another of their hits in our own show.
hamilton_square

elreydlp wrote:Don't forget Jackson Brown's cover of "Stay".
No, I didn’t forget Jackson Browne’s 1978 version nor did I overlook Cyndi Laupher’s 2004 version either. Both of which were released in the UK as singles but one has to draw the line somewhere. I went with the Hollies because they were the first to have a singles hit in the UK with the song and their 1963 version charted higher [at Number 8] than the other two.
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

I love the Hollies covers of American R & B songs-"Just One Look" and The Impressions "You Must Believe Me" are two favorites. I was introcuced to The Hollies early; before they officialy "hit" these shores. A girl in my study hall had a British pen pal who was a big fan and she sent her an album. Knowing I was a big fan of British groups, she loaned it to me. I learned "You Must Believe Me" from that record, and that's the version my band, "The Pendeltons" played.

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

We seem to be duplicating things original ideas was to do it like the US v UK thing and other things I did, but no problem though let's not post same vids twice
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Perhpas a separate thread for each original versus hit entry.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Possibly if others are going to post same theme as it prevents comments being lost on the theme.
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

royclough wrote:We seem to be duplicating things original ideas was to do it like the US v UK thing and other things I did, but no problem though let's not post same vids twice
I didn't realize that when I "quoted" the entry that the videos would accompany the quote, and after I posted the Hollies clip, I was shocked to find that there is no clip of The Impressions doing "You Must Believe Me" on Youtube.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”