original v hit 3

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
hamilton_square

Re: original v hit 3

Post by hamilton_square »

Formed in 1966 and fronted by the unique vocal sound of Andy Fairweather Low, AMEN CORNER hailed from Cardiff, the capital city of Wales. Featuring a line up that included two saxophones, the group’s early music preferences leaned towards playing blues and jazz influenced covers.

Following two minor UK chart successes during 1967, Amen Corner were persuaded by Decca, their recording company at the time, to adopt a more commercial friendly approach. With the result that the group’s next single, Bend Me, Shape Me, released the following year [1968] went to Number 3 in the UK Charts …

While the Amen Corner UK version of the song was arguably in response to the US version by the American Breed that was released December 1967 and peaked at Number 5 on the Billboard Hot 100. There is however, some dispute as to who originally recorded Bend Me, Shape Me.

Written by Scott English and Larry Weiss, most online sources claim that the song first appeared as a track on the album IN by the Outsiders and released on Capitol Records in January 1967. But there is reliable anecdotal evidence that towards the end of 1966 a very different version of Bend Me, Shape Me was being played on US radio stations by all girl group, the Models.

Produced by Tom Wilson, better known for his recording association with the likes of Bob Dylan, Frank Zappa and the Velvet Underground, both the song’s writers, Scott English and Larry Weiss, were credited on the record as being two of the number’s four musical arrangers. While apparently, only released in limited numbers to radio DJs for airplay purposes and not intended for sale to the general US record buying public nevertheless, the Models recording of Bend Me, Shape Me still exists in its original 45 R.P.M vinyl form …

(If Paradise Is) Half as Nice was by far Amen Corner’s biggest selling UK single, spending two weeks at Number 1 in February 1969.

While, during the 1960s it was not uncommon for UK female vocalists like, Cilla Black, Dusty Springfield and Petula Clark to source recording material from Continental Europe. It was however, unheard of for British male groups to do likewise, preferring instead to focus on English speaking countries (mainly the US) for suitable cover numbers.

Written by Italian singer / songwriter Lucio Battisti, Il Paradiso Della Vita was first recorded in 1968 by La Ragazza 77 (alias Ambra Borelli) before being translated into English …

Last edited by hamilton_square on Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

There is however, some dispute as to who originally recorded Bend Me, Shape Me.
No dispute as far as I'm concerned my reference book states The Models but thanks for info I always thought original was by American Breed.

Two good and informative choices there.
hamilton_square

royclough wrote:… but thanks for info I always thought original was by American Breed.
Funny you should say that Roy, because for some reason or other I always thought that Hello Susie, penned by Roy Wood and Amen Corner’s follow up single to (If Paradise Is) Half as Nice that went to Number 5 in the UK charts, was a cover of the same song by the Move …

However, I have since learned I was wrong for it was indeed the original recorded version of the Roy Wood number. Allegedly, there is a You Tube clip of the Move (with Carl Wayne on vocals) performing Hello Susie live on BBC Radio that pre-dates the Amen Corner recording. But, the Move’s much raunchier version of the song (this time with Roy Wood on vocals) did not officially show up until February 1970 when it appeared on the Move album, Shazam …

JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

I'll go with the Models version of Bend Me...I've always been a Tom Wilson fan anyway (a very unappreciated figure in Rock History).

As to Hello Susie, I'll go with Amen Corner in this instance, though I'm a big Move fan. The Move never really made it on my side of the pond which is a shame as they were a terrific group. They did a beautiful cover of Tom Paxton's "The Last Thing On My Mind" on Shazam which is one of my all time favorite records.
hamilton_square

While, as a result of the British Invasion, HERMAN’s HERMITS were undoubtedly more popular in the US throughout the 1960s than in their native British Isles. The group’s first UK single release, I’m Into Something Good, spent two weeks at Number 1 during late 1964. However, it was to be Herman’s Hermits only UK Number 1 chart topping single as the group increasingly tailored its musical output to US tastes …

One of the many songs written by then husband and wife team, Gerry Goffin and Carole King, during their tenure in New York’s Brill Building on Manhattan’s 49th Street. I’m Into Something Good was initially recorded and released by Ethel “Earl-Jean” McCrea some six months before the Herman’s Hermits version, reaching Number 38 in US Billboard Hot 100.

Released on Colpix Records, I see that the Earl-Jean original recording of I’m Into Something Good has been finally posted on You Tube as of two days ago (March 15th)

Known simply as Earl-Jean, Ethel McCrea was a founding member of the all girl vocal group, the Cookies. Who, while recording artists in their own right, were also much in demand as backing vocalists for the likes of Ray Charles (aka the Raelettes), Neil Sedaka and Little Eva. Arguably, the Cookies best known single is that of Chains, released 1962 and also written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King, and covered by the Beatles on their first UK album release, Please Please Me.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”