Jet Harris

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
royclough
RRF Consultant

Jet Harris

Post by royclough »

Sad to report that Jet Harris one of the original memebers of The Shadows has passed away. To many in US Jet won't really mena anything but to a lot of UK fans a legend. Jet left the Shadows after their first album though there were circumstance s taht led to hiis decision.

Here is Jet and Tony Meehan with perhaps their finest hour, both are now sadly gone.

elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Re: Jet Harris

Post by elreydlp »

Sorry Roy, I didn't see this when I posted in The Others.

I too included the "Diamonds" vid and a newspaper article.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

No problem glad he was remembered by more than me

Some how this seems apt released in late 70s sank without trace but I loved it

elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

Quite appropriate!
Like a lot of Yanks, my introduction to The Shadows was the two songs covered by "The Sandals" on the "Endless Summer" soundtrack; "Driftin'" (the credits said "Hank mErvin"), and "Jet BlacK".
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

Sad to hear the news though I know he had been ill for sometime. There are a few dedicated Shadows fans here in the States, and we are all diminished by Jet's passing. In my younger days, I spent plenty of evenings trying to copy "The Man With The Golden Arm". Great bass player, and from everything I've read a very good guy personally. He was kind enough to answer an e-mail I posted on the Shadows fan board once, explaining how he had momentarily been in The Jeff Beck Group. What was supposed to be their first rehearsal didn't go too well, and Jet said "So we packed up our guitars and went down to the pub and had a bloody good drink!".

Here's the BBC obit;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12790789

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”