ORIGINAL V HIT 4

Post by royclough »

Here's another to ponder

Original

Hit
JeffZ

Re: ORIGINAL V HIT 4

Post by JeffZ »

Gotta go with Chuck Berry here, although this is hardly my favorite song of his. Both Mick Jagger and Keith Richard have said over the years that the only reason The Stones went with this as their first single was that as far as they knew no one else had covered it yet.

The flip of The Stones single, Muddy Waters' "I Wanna Be Loved" , is actually a better track, though they (or Andrew Oldham) probably felt it wasn't commercial enough.
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

This was the Stones first single and I never heard it?! (I bought one single, Paint It Black. I had a highschool friend who insisted on loaning me his Stones singles.) I thought I had heard all their early hits and enjoyed their music, despite the fact I didn't like them as personalities. Never heard the Chuck Berry version either. So, in keeping with my typical British choice, even being the Stones, I will pick the Stones version. However, I won't be replaying it as I would rather hear "Not Fade Away" ....the first good one of theirs I can recall hearing out of Canada (while I was waiting for The Searchers music on CKLW instead of sleeping). In visiting Stones Discography I figured out why. This "Come On" tune was released in June of 1963. On this side of the pond, we 'discovered" your music after the Kennedy Assassination (Nov. 1963) -- personally, that happened when one of my schoolmates brought Meet The Beatles album to 7th grade class waving it all over. Something about 'THEY were going to be BIG.' -- where he got his info or that album, I have no idea! But after the Beatles arrived in Feb. 64, then the other British bands' music got airplay. And thank you very much, UK! From that point forward, I spent my free time -- 'studying music' and the musicians, of course. :wink: Thanks for digging them up, Roy! It's always interesting and fun to come here and find an Original V. Hit!
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Both great but goin' w/Chuck

Earlier today was checkin out 2 versions of Chuck's "Let It Rock" Chuck's version and a version by Motorhead on an old David Letterman show..both great but Chuck's the man

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”