Jesamine - Casuals

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
royclough
RRF Consultant

Jesamine - Casuals

Post by royclough »

Carying on name theme here's one that was actually written by a early Brit Rock n Roller Marty Wilde though under another name.

The Cover says Very Best of The Casuals but in terms of chart success this was really it, made number 2 in UK.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Jesamine - Casuals

Post by admin »

Roy, the Casuals' version is interesting but I cannot for the life of me understand how their release trumped the Bystanders original which was released just 6 months earlier.

So I ask you to listen to the Bystanders' version here. Perhaps another listen or two will on my part will provide more insight.

I do think that the Casuals recording of Jesamine is nicely done. To my ear I hear a little bit of Gary Puckett's style in his vocals on this one. It is also plenty heavy on the orchestration.

Ok, after a few more listens I may be a bit wiser. The Casuals' version does have a stronger vocal overall and the quality and clarity of Wilde's voice is front and centre. Also, there is a hint of psychedelia in the Bystanders' version that is not as pleasing to me. The lyrics are excellent.

The lyrics are also interesting to study while listening to the song so they are added below.

What am I supposed to do
With a girl like Jesamine
Though my eyes are open wide
She's made my life a dream

Chorus:
When Jesamine goes, a part of me knows
I'm not really living
A butterfly child, so free and so wild
And so full of living

When Jesamine stays, though time goes fast
This is my world at last
Beautiful day's lost in her eyes
But then the whole world dies

Chorus

What can you say
When a girl doesn't want to know
She's too far away
And she makes my life a dream

Chorus

When Jesamine stays, though time goes fast
This is my world at last
Beautiful day's, lost in her eyes
But then the whole world dies

What am I supposed to do
With a girl like Jesamine
Though my eyes are open wide
She made my life a dream

When Jesamine goes a part of me knows
I'm not really living...
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Peter

Here is Mary Wilde's own version which bsed on your comment I assume you have listened to he put this on a album a year after Casuals version, as for Bystanders version I can only assume it just did not get nay airplay I think it is as good as ny version.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Roy, thanks for your kind comments on my early morning cut and paste error. I have amended my earlier comments. This is the first time I am hearing Marty Wilde's version which I feel is the best of the three.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”