Left Banke - Walk Away Renee cover

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Hi, I just posted a cover of the tune on my website. It's at the bottom of the page at: http://beatbyrd.com/misc_covers

I guess that the Lovin' Spoonful and Roy Orbison tunes would probably qualify as classics also. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: Left Banke - Walk Away Renee cover

Post by jimk »

The more I listen to your covers, the more impressed I am with your ability to mimic the vocal styles and nuances of famous singers. Your Traveling Wilburys cover really demonstrates your uncanny ability. How do you do that? 8)
JimK
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Re: Left Banke - Walk Away Renee cover

Post by beatbyrd »

jimk wrote:The more I listen to your covers, the more impressed I am with your ability to mimic the vocal styles and nuances of famous singers. Your Traveling Wilburys cover really demonstrates your uncanny ability. How do you do that? 8)
JimK
Uhh, I bought a dozens cans of uncanny???? Actually, I used to try and imitate everything as a kid; the cartoon voices, television commercials, various performers on sit-coms and variety shows, etc. In junior high and high school, I'd try and imitate the voices of teachers and other kids. That got a lot of laughs, so I kept doing it. Later on, in bands, I'd have to sing a lot of harmonies and discovered that if I tried to imitate the lead singer, the harmonies would blend better. So now, it's ingrained.

Currently, part of the song selection process for me is singing along with my iTunes library. If I think there's a decent 'match', the song goes on the 'possible' list. After that, it's a matter of "can I handle all of the instrumental parts?". I have the Wilbury's "End of the line" on my short list right now. The hardest part will be the Tom Petty vocals on that song. He's using a nasal, light Southern drawl and it's more like a half singing/half talking delivery. Very tough (for me) to copy. If it comes out decent, I'll post it. Thanks, Jim. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Great rendition, Tom !
You're harmony vocals are fantastic ! :)

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”