Half Step Flat Tunning ?

Putting music theory into practice
tamborineman

Half Step Flat Tunning ?

Post by tamborineman »

How many Forumites tune a half step flat and why ? :?: Any alternate tuned 12 string players ? :?:
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: Half Step Flat Tunning ?

Post by sloop_john_b »

tamborineman wrote:How many Forumites tune a half step flat and why ? :?: Any alternate tuned 12 string players ? :?:
Generally, people tune flat to make it easier on the singer while still sounding close to the original recording of the song.

There's also a certain tonality that comes with flat tuning - this is common practice in blues, perhaps to sound a bit "heavier". Or maybe it originated in the days before light gauge strings existed, so that the strings would be a bit more slinky and therefore easier to bend/use vibrato.

I keep my 660/12 tuned a step flat all the time to keep the tension lower on the neck, and use a capo when necessary.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

And don't forget all the Korn stuff etc that's in drop tuning, or even 7-strings.

I very rarely use anything other than standard tuning. I've only recently found it acceptable to use a capo.I used to think they were just for wussies.
tennis_nick
Intermediate Member

Post by tennis_nick »

I tend to have all my guitars 1/2 step down because I'm not much of a vocalist.

Gives the stratocaster a pretty big sound though, I can't really explain it. I used to just have the strat 1/2 down, but it became easier to have everything 1/2 step down
tamborineman

Post by tamborineman »

Nick, speaking of Strats, vertually everything from Hendrix and SRV was 1/2 flat.
tennis_nick
Intermediate Member

Post by tennis_nick »

tamborineman wrote:Nick, speaking of Strats, vertually everything from Hendrix and SRV was 1/2 flat.

Which kind of pushed me tot try it.

A guy at a music store mentioned a strat tuned 1/2 step down with heavy strings and said in a daze : " when you put on those 11's or 12's and tune your strat to Eb... It's like God is making up for all that's wrong with the world..."
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Rarely do I tune down a half step. I think I'm better off playing barre chords at concert pitch. I also rarely capo my guitars, too.

If I will tune down a semitone, it will be on my Telecaster. I've never and will never tune down a semitone on a 12.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

TomPettyandHeartbreakersFan wrote:If I will tune down a semitone, it will be on my Telecaster. I've never and will never tune down a semitone on a 12.
Just wait till the neck on your TP starts pitching forward. You might have to start tuning it down a full step!
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

I use this tuning when I am doing my Motorhead tribute band.
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

I know a bunch of stuff in that tuning. All of KISS is like that. Bunch of Sabbath. Alice In Chains. I like being lower because I think of things I wouldn't normally do in normal tuning. I keep it A440 most of the time though.
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
2011/05 Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Bass
2005/11 Fender Standard Jazz Bass
tamborineman

Post by tamborineman »

I use 1/2 flat on all my guitars almost all the time. You can always capo up one. It helps the playability of almost any guitar. It adds one more arrow to the quiver. It also helps when you capo up to the 7th rather than 8th fret.[ Here Comes The Sun ]. I also use open E flat or open G flat tunning for bottle necking. Lots of low end balls! All in my humble opinion of course. :)
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

nattiep wrote:I know a bunch of stuff in that tuning. All of KISS is like that. Bunch of Sabbath. Alice In Chains. I like being lower because I think of things I wouldn't normally do in normal tuning. I keep it A440 most of the time though.
The Hotter Than Hell album is in standard. :mrgreen:
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Typically I keep all my stringed instruments tuned to A440Hz. Being accustomed to playing lots of folk music, I'll use a capo my guitar or banjo.

I don't use alternate tunings much. About the only other tuning I use on guitar is dropped D. I expect to keep up the same practice on my Ricknebacker.

JimK
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

sloop_john_b wrote:
TomPettyandHeartbreakersFan wrote:If I will tune down a semitone, it will be on my Telecaster. I've never and will never tune down a semitone on a 12.
Just wait till the neck on your TP starts pitching forward. You might have to start tuning it down a full step!
Are you daring to cast aspersions on the stability of the TP neck?

Strangely, my TP is the most stable guitar in the stable, tuned to concert pitch.... I have had way more problems with bass necks, long and thin as they are.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I hvae owned two 660/12's over the years and never had any problems. Bought the first one new in 1999 and had it until 2001 or so. The second was a 99 I bought in 2005ish and sold a couple months later.

The '48 SP I just got is down one whole step (DGCFAD) becauase the neck, while straight, is pitched a little forward.Luckily there is still enough clearance around the horseshoe that it doesn't buzz, but it's a very close balance, kind of like how if Earth were just a little closer or further to/from the sun, it would not support life. Same idea here.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”