your live set-up

Putting music theory into practice
longhouse
Advanced Member

your live set-up

Post by longhouse »

Nearly every artist I see perform these days has an acre of effects pedals in front of him/her on stage -even if they're just strumming chords. Now I am by no means a guitar-cable-amp purist. I have scores of pedals -I just don't keep every single one on my pedalboard.

When rehearsing I use the same configuration as when I perform. For the last six months it has been this:

Guitar (Rickenbacker 1997, Epi Elitist Country Deluxe, Phantom Teardrop XII)
\
Mogami Gold cable
\
Korg tuner
\
Boss CS3 Compressor (I stopped using the Aphex Punch Factory)
\
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive (the best OD on the planet - love the clean function)
\
BBE Boosta Grande (clean boost +25db)
\
[all linked with George L's cable]
\
Fender Super Sonic amplifier-------------------------------[BBE Sonic Stomp in effect loop]

The amp footswitch lets me switch between Vibrolux & Bassman on the 'vintage' channel and also has a high gain 'modern' channel (which is a few DBs quieter than the vintage???). I use the effects loop switch to engage the BBE maximizer.

I actually run my acoustic through the amp also (Tacoma C1C Chief) -it actually sounds more realistic that way versus the PA.
For larger gigs I may use my Roland JC120 for the acoustic -though I'm considering a Peavey :roll: acoustic amp/PA.

My set-up is close to perfect for me. Occasionally I pine for an extra flavor of dirt. But I've been unhappy with adding a Double Drive, Fuzzface, Daddy-O, and most recently a Boss Fender Deluxe pedal. It's actually only on my Ric that I miss it. The Chet has so much gain that I can just roll the volume up for a vicious sound when needed. I rarely use modulation these days. For a while I kept my Danecho delay in the signal path (set for slapback), but I've moved away from that also.

The only other issue I have I cannot easily resolve is balancing volumes. I can dial everything in virtually flat with just enough +db on the boost to take solos over the top, but it seems I always end up too loud on certain songs (no guitarist jokes please).

So......... what are you using on stage?
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Re: your live set-up

Post by blueflamerick »

A Rickenbacker 2030/4001/4003/4004, depending on what wins in eenie-meanie-miney-mo, played through a Rickenbacker Transonic cabinet powered by a Markbass LMII head.

For effects, I use an Ernie Ball VP JR volume pedal, a Boss TU-12 tuner, a Boss CE-2B chorus pedal, and a Boss LM-2B Limiter. I used to use a Janglebox for compression, but it's too damn noisy.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Amp: Vox AC 30 with Vox Alnico bulldogs

Usual Guitar rig: Rick 381 w/12k toasters or Gretsch Silverjet with De Armonds

FX-left to right on the pedal board:
Ibanez Analog rotary chorus, Boss Flanger, Boss Digital Delay, Ibanez compressor, Van Amps Sole Mate spring reverb unit, Ibanez Tube Screamer, Danelectro Daddy-O distortion pedal, Boss pedal tuner, Vox Wah. I also use an A/B box turned backwards with a cable going out to my two guitars so I can switch between guitars without having to fumble around on a dark stage plugging and unplugging my guitar cable; I put one guitar down, pick the other one up, step on the footswitch, and BANG! Off I go on the other guitar.
:D :D
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

86 4003 JG/BT
2 Ashdown MAG 4x10 Cabs (i will sometimes use 3 4x10 cabs and a 2x10, depending on the size of the stage we are on :mrgreen: )
QSC 850w Poweramp
SansAmp RBI preamp
dbx 160a compressor
sabine rackmounted tuner
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

Amps: L=Vox AD120VTH with either 1 or 2 AD212 cabs, R=Atomic AR212-50 Reactor amp with Vox Tonelab front end.
Guitars: 350V63 FG, 620 JG, 660/12FG, '69 LP Deluxe Gold Top, Godin Exit22, Godin LG-P90
Floor: Vox VC-12 controls both amp rigs simultaneously, pedal board = Pedersen Strobe tuner, Diamond compressor, Digitec Whammy, Rocktron Banshee talkbox, Radial ABY switch.

Effects loop: Stereo 31 band eq in the AD120VTH loop, mono 15 band eq in the Atomic/Vox amp loop.

For small clubs or jams, I take the 350 with the Atomic and the VC-12.
Last edited by bitzerguy on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

330/6 & 330/12
Planet Waves cables
Vox Tonelab SE
Roland JC-55

Pretty simple.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Great idea, Noel - I love these threads!

I haven't played a gig on guitar in a while, so i'll go with posting my bass rig, which is unfortunately pretty boring!

Usually a combination of two out of these three basses, depending on - as Erik put it - the pre-gig game of eenie-meenie-miney-moe:
Rickenbacker 4003v68 JG
Rickenbacker 4001v63 FG
Fender Jazz Bass MIM Sonic Blue
(Sometimes I prefer to stick to one bass for gig, which is always the v68 without question.)

After that, i'm going into a Boss TU-2, and from there it's right to the amp - Markbass LMII -> SWR 4x10.

When I start gigging as a guitarist again (sometime this spring), i'll be sure to bump this thread back up and post my cool guitar rig. For now, here's my guitar rig, circa 2004. 10 shillings to the person who can name every pedal. :lol:
Catgod2001.jpg
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

BTW Noel, regarding your search for a dirt box: I have been using the same dist/overdrive pedal for almost four years now - I swear by the thing. It's an Ibanez TS-9 "Classic Mod", bought directly from Analogman, who does great pedal mods. Give it a shot, hey? If you come up to RIO, i'd be happy to bring it.

http://www.buyanalogman.com/Ibanez_TS_9 ... 8-mods.htm
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

I hope I can make it to RIO, John. I'd like to try the TS-9. You know, I love my Sparkledrive so much that I've considered adding a second one to the signal path; one clean, one dirty. Might be the solution in the end. I only go in for extreme fuzz or crunch on a few songs. Why hide all that beautiful Ric tone in fur? :wink:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Bring the Sparkledive to RIO!!! We could do a shootout of OD pedals that make Ricks sound great.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I spy with my little eye an NES Advantage!!!! How cool is that? What does it do?
dswp

Post by dswp »

When I am lucky enough to have the world’s best road crew, I play out with..

1 Samson wireless
1 Ampeg pro 3 head
1 Ampeg STV head
1 Ampeg STV 8X10 Cabinet
2 Ampeg STVHLF410 Cabinets
1 Rickenbacker Transonic T100
1 Rickenbacker Transonic T200

Direct box to connect to the PA?...Not required..
Attachments
IMG_2133_1_1.jpg
IMG_1693 (450 x 600).jpg
Picture 282_1_1_1_1_2_1.jpg
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Oh yeah Dave, it was really fun setting up that rig.

JDog - good eye! Go here are scroll down a bit: http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/stuff/index.html
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

sloop_john_b wrote:Oh yeah Dave, it was really fun setting up that rig.

JDog - good eye! Go here are scroll down a bit: http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/stuff/index.html
Holy Smokes JB! Your pedal board makes mine look simple by comparison :shock: :D .
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

paologregorio wrote:Holy Smokes JB! Your pedal board makes mine look simple by comparison :shock: :D .
Oh, my rig hasn't looked like that in years. Just a silly phase, but that was a really fun band - all completely improvisatory. I made some seriously cool sounds that night. :lol:

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”