Your Biggest Improvements

Putting music theory into practice
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: Your Biggest Improvements

Post by jimk »

johneek wrote:At the risk of looking like I'm promoting my own thread, I'm bumping this. I'm really curious about the initial question, and can't help but believe that there are some stories out there that would help us all improve our playing.
I've been thinking about the above, John. And I'm starting to wonder if after several years, I don't kow how many, that sudden, dramatic, shizzam! moments become fewer and farther between. I mean take me for example. I've been playing guitar for 38 years. Improvements only seem to have come after methodical and diligent practice. Changing string gauges and pick gauges helped. But I only did that when I did that when I began to wonder if it might improve my hybrid picking. Maybe it did. But maybe it was that change which inspired me to more methodical and diligent practice.

JimK
johneek
Advanced Member

Post by johneek »

Jim,

Thanks for your thoughtful replies. This is exactly the kind of discussion I was hoping my question would prompt. I assumed that people's answers would depend on where they were in terms of experience . I played a fair amount of music as a kid (piano, baritone horn, trombone for a while in a "Chicago" clone band) but guitar playing is relatively new to me (5 years). I always enjoy knowing more about other's experiences and thought this kind of thread might promote some of that.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

That work thing definitely gets in the way.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

jdogric12aolcom wrote:That work thing definitely gets in the way.
Shucks Jason, work doesn't get in my way. Why, I can sit and play guitar and watch other people work all day long. :mrgreen:

JimK
squirefan01
Intermediate Member

Post by squirefan01 »

What is "Hybrid" picking?
tennis_nick
Intermediate Member

Post by tennis_nick »

squirefan01 wrote:What is "Hybrid" picking?
It runs on electricity 1/2 the time, skill the other 1/2!

Actually, it involves using a pick and and your fingers to pluck strings, usually in a pattern. McGuinn does this a lot, as do pretty much every banjo player
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

If it's not in a specific pattern, then it's called "chicken picking", correct? I do a bit of that.

For me it's mostly been playing in a band, as well as listening to recorded music to pick things up. Most of my exercise books have collected dust or sat on the shelf, except for the occasional pulling out of the book for reference. I'll use a chord book or two here and there as well.
qwezirider
Intermediate Member

Post by qwezirider »

For me it's always been a series of little improvements over the years. Really hard to pinpoint one thing other than this: learning, from the Rick manual and places like this, to not be affraid of the instrument and learn how to set it up properly. That one thing really helped my playing tremendously two years ago. I had lived with all my basses and guitars as they were for the previous 24 years, only one time getting a setup done on one guitar at the shop. Once I finally learned how un-scary it is to do the work and how much a good setup improves the playability, I went haywire setting up all my instruments. It really makes one better in tune with and more understanding of how the beasts work best.

And 4-2-5ing my 4004Cii didn't hurt either at getting more intimate with a bass and understanding how I want it to play versus what I get from the store.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

squirefan01 wrote:What is "Hybrid" picking?
Hybrid picking refers to combining flatpicking with fingerpicking. You place the flat pick between your thumb and index finger like normal, then wear finger picks on your middle, and ring fingers. Or at least, I wear finger picks. This allows you to execute single string passages like a flat picker, and alternate arpeggiated passages like a finger picker.

This is also the style Roger McGuinn (and others, too) has used with such notable effect on such Byrds hits as "Turn, Turn, Turn" and "Eight Miles High."
Attachments
How Roger McGuinn wears his finger picks
How Roger McGuinn wears his finger picks
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

tennis_nick wrote: Actually, it involves using a pick and and your fingers to pluck strings, usually in a pattern. McGuinn does this a lot, as do pretty much every banjo player
As for banjo playing....well not exactly. There are other equally well known traditional 5 string banjo styles utilizing only thumb and index finger. One in particular sounds nothing remotely like "Foggy Mountain Breakdown."

This YouTube clip will illustrate better than words will...

This is what's called "clawhammer" style banjo playing

JimK
tamborineman

Post by tamborineman »

Hybrid picking, jimk explained it well, I would just add that I use only the flat pick with bare fingers with long finger nails on the middle and third finger. I find the metal finger picks to clumsey, but what ever works for you, go with it.
Also, I recently discovered Johnny Highland, he a master of this style. Check him out. :)
squirefan01
Intermediate Member

Post by squirefan01 »

Thanks! I guess I don't have to think about applying that to the bass then :)
tamborineman

Post by tamborineman »

squirefan01 wrote:Thanks! I guess I don't have to think about applying that to the bass then :)
Greg, if you can, you might be the next big thing. Try it :twisted:

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”