Please Help Me Select Budget Overdrive Pedal

Putting music theory into practice
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Please Help Me Select Budget Overdrive Pedal

Post by firstbassman »

I'm drowning in a sea of choices.
The intent here is to keep my tube amp on the clean channel and use a pedal for some crunch with either my 335 humbucker clone (Ibanez AS-73) and with my Telecaster. I'm not after a heavy metal sound.

If you can recommned one, that would be great. Here is the list. Thanks!

Behringer BO100 Blues Overdrive

Boss DS-1

Boss OS-2

Danelectro D-2 Fab Overdrive

DigiTech Bad Monkey

DigiTech Screamin Blues

DigiTech XTD Tone Driver

DOD Overdrive Preamp/250 Reissue

DOD YJM308 Yngwie J Malmsteen Signature

Ibanez TS7 Tone Lok
Last edited by firstbassman on Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: Please Help Me Select Budget Overdrive Pedal

Post by sloop_john_b »

How much are you looking to spend?
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

Sorry, meant to say - "budget" in this case means under $75.

Thus, the list.
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

I have a Ibanez TS5 I don't use. It would be REAL CHEAP (like 25 bucks). You can look at reviews and see what you think. I took it in trade to even out a swap at a music store. It was used when I got it.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Overdrive is such a personal thing, that's why there are a bazillion of them to choose from. Also, they really sound different depending where you set the out put level as well as drive level. What might sound great to me may suck to you, and vice versa. The best advice I can give you is to take your guitar into a shop and try all of these out if you can. I would stay away from Behringer 30 buck pedals if you are going to doing anything but playing safely at home, as the construction isn't the best. The DOD od250 and yjm are almost identical, and are built a lot better, but you'll wanna throw in a true bypass switch in them eventually. The boss stuff is well made, and really an issue of preference. The tonelock stuff isn't too bad either, or the soundtanks for that matter.

Play as many as you can, as they all have their pluses and minuses. If you have an interest in electronics, many companies offer beginner level kits that you can put together, and then understand how different components affect the sound.Small Bear and General Guitar Gadgets are two I can think of off the top of my head.Once you learn a thing or two, you can make your own pedal which does what you want it to do. This is what all these boutique 300 dollar overdrive pedals are about.

Something to think about, anyways.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”