Accordian

Putting music theory into practice
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Accordian

Post by jdogric12 »

Hey gang. So I have this accordian I've finally gotten around to start learning to play. It's pretty fun. Anyone here play?
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: Accordian

Post by jimk »

Beware of accordion jokes to follow....... :lol:

JimK
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

And a one-a and a two-a...
All I wanna do is rock!
scotty

Post by scotty »

Sorry i could not resist.

The difference between an onion and accordion?
People cry when they chop up onions.

What's the difference between an accordion and a cat?
Only the cost, they both make the same kinds of sounds when you squeeze them.

What's the difference between an accordion and a trampoline?
You take your shoes off before you jump up and down on a trampoline.

and finally my favorite of the bunch!!

If you drop an accordion, a set of bagpipes and a viola off a 20-story building, which one lands first and which way up do they land?
Who cares?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Hey, c'mon guys, the accordion's cool! Don't make me edit you... :lol:

I have tried to play, but found working the bellows *not* in rhythm to be difficult - much like bowing a violin or something. Wish I could play the thing.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

sloop_john_b wrote:Hey, c'mon guys, the accordion's cool! Don't make me edit you... :lol:
LOL!
sloop_john_b wrote:I have tried to play, but found working the bellows *not* in rhythm to be difficult - much like bowing a violin or something. Wish I could play the thing.
My problem exactly. That breath of silence (literally) is quite frustrating.
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

Accordians are cool. Check out Flogging Molly. In addition to being an awesome skateboarder, Matt Hensley was also a pretty good accordian player while in the band.
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

An accordian in the hands of someone like Augie Meyers & Flaco Jimenez can be very cool. :D :D :D

The Texas Tornados- Freddy Fender, Flaco Jimenez, Augie Meyers & Doug Sahm
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I learned on an accordion...taught myself at age 14 on my Dad's 1930s Castelfidardo, with its pearls and rhinestones and pounds of celluloid trim.

Recently picked up a Cordovox, which is an accordion (mid-range price-wise) into which were stuffed the guts of a Lowrey home organ, with two outboard cabinets; one for tone generation with over 80 vacuum tubes, and one for amplification with about 38 watts into 2-12s. It has a lovely warm sound and is less harsh than most combo organs.

My dad is an accordionist and recently played at my birthday party using the Cordovox. His own CF was destroyed in a house fire 5 years ago tomorrow, and he was a bit rusty, but got up to speed pretty quickly, considering he's 82...

I really like the sound. although when I used to play it in the 60s, everybody grimaced--it was considered very uncool. My band members back then made me the butt of lots of jokes...

The really fine piano accordions, with several sets of hand-made, hand-tuned, and hand-set reeds, are a joy to play and to hear, and are light-years ahead and on top of the Cordovox and cheaper accordions. Still, the CV holds its own even when played skint (no electronics). It still has an amp pickup so you can play "acoustic amplified". It'll make the hair stand up on the back of yer neck, too.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... wanted=all

Note the Beatles ref in the first sentence...
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

They're blaming the Beatles for their sales decline? I wonder if they saw this:
John played the accordion and had this to say about it, From the Anthology booklet:
“I also had a little accordion which I used to play — only the right hand — and I played the same things on this that I played on mouth organ, things like ‘Swedish Rhapsody’, ‘Moulin Rouge’, and ‘Greensleeves’.”
All I wanna do is rock!
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

A few years ago, I stopped in at Austin's Broken Spoke for dinner only to find the monthly jam session of Austin's Accordion Players Society.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Ha! JL playing the squeezebox...wonderful!!!

The Beatles brought in the group thing (among many other factors) of guitars, drums and bass. If anything, the combo organ took the accordion's place. There is no question that the immense cultural shift that the Invasion engendered, put the more traditional music forms on the back burner for awhile, until the New Music (post-Beatles) could expand enough to once again enfold the older styles and instruments, which was well on its way here in the States at the time this article was published (1988). Remember Clifton Chenier, They Might Be Giants, and at least a couple of dizen klezmer/pop and punk/polka outfits who were already popular when this article was published, 20 years ago.

The company referenced in the article, Paolo Soprani, is back in biz and doing well enough to offer most of their traditional product line once again. I stopped at their booth at NAMM the last couple of years to soak up the sounds and smells. (A new accordion has a wonderfully inspiring smell, too, just like a new Rick--leather and glue and wood and celluloid, in the case of the accordions!)

http://www.paolosoprani.com
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Actually I do like accordion when it's in a cajun band. Klezmer gives me the hives.
All I wanna do is rock!
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

kiramdear wrote:Actually I do like accordion when it's in a cajun band. Klezmer gives me the hives.

Ayeeee!

Tex-Mex is pretty hot stuff, too.
JimK
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

hmmm, I HAVE A PICTURE.................................................. :twisted: :lol:

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”