Accordian

Putting music theory into practice
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Accordian

Post by jdogric12 »

Can you email it to me Tony? Seriously, I'd like to see it! I might even post it if it's not too embarrasing (accordian embarrassment excluded, of course).
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

One of my favourite Far Side cartoons:

Welcome to heaven, here's your harp.
Welcom to hell, here's your accordion.
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

jdogric12aolcom wrote:Can you email it to me Tony? Seriously, I'd like to see it! I might even post it if it's not too embarrasing (accordian embarrassment excluded, of course).
Sure Jdog,

I just have to dig it up. It isn't too bad! :lol:

ALSO, the lady you bought it from just gave me THREE VERY OLD BOOKS on "how to play the accoridan". :roll:

Send me your address & I'll mail them to you!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
chuck_king

Post by chuck_king »

I picked up a small accordion at a flea market a couple years ago, just to noodle around on. I haven't really done much with it, but, one of the gals in my band saw it, got interested, used it on a song or two, and was inspired to actually buy a REAL accordion of her own, which she now plays for about a third of the songs in our set. She has a t-shirt that says "Everything is going accordion to plan!"

There were some cool accordion parts in lots of old western swing-style songs. We're going to try to work up a rendition of "Smoke Smoke Smoke that Cigarette", and there's an old Elvis Presley tune called "Let Me" that has a really cute accordion part to it. We use it in place of keyboards for anything that's sort-of close in tone.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Excellent, Chuck! You are in one of the world's centers for used accordions, not to mention accordion use. My Pop plated one in a western swing band at Pete and Rocky's tavern on the northwest corner of North Avenue and Oakley, back in the 1950s. He taught my uncle, who doubled on it with the Joe Pat (polka) Orchestra through the '50s, '60s and '70s.

This was the uncle who had the light show banjo. (Well, what passed for a LS back in the '50s--a banjo with Christmas tree lamps mounted behind the front skin.) It was definitely hot stuff for the highball set.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”