Pete Townshend's style of playing

Putting music theory into practice
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Pete Townshend's style of playing

Post by JakeK »

I was reading Whotabs.com, and noticed that Townshend took out the third in his "E" chord making it look something like:

Having two Fenders with a 25 3/4 scale neck, I have to strain my hand to try and do this, so when I play Who songs, I just make an "E" the old fashioned way. When I get that 1997SPC, however, I'll be playing my "E" chords the Townshend way not only in Who songs, but also with The Beatles, The Stones and Petty, just trying to experiment with new ways of playing the songs.

I've noticed these days, I've been playing a lot like Townshend. Adding aggresiveness and flourishes to a lot of what I play. I was even doing a windmill on my Strat, and tore up my thumb pretty bad.

How many of you guys find yourselves making Townshend's "E" chord and/or playing in his aggressive style not only for Who songs, but for your own originals or even Beatles, Stones, etc. music?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: Pete Townshend's style of playing

Post by sloop_john_b »

What song(s) specifically did you see that chord on? Just out of curiousity.

I play guitar aggresively (I'm much more graceful on the bass :lol:), and though I probably owe some kind of debt to Pete for it, I'm not apeing anyone's style in particular. Just doin' what I do.

Jake, are you planning on making a career out of playing the part of Pete in a Who tribute? :)
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

sloop_john_b wrote:What song(s) specifically did you see that chord on? Just out of curiousity.
"I'm a Boy", "I Can See for Miles", "Join Together", "Baba O'Riley" and "Won't Get Fooled Again", to name a few.
sloop_john_b wrote:Jake, are you planning on making a career out of playing the part of Pete in a Who tribute? :)
You got me! I've been trying to get a few friends together to form a Who tribute band, with me as Pete. My friend Dylan plays bass a hell of a lot like Entwistle, who happens to be one of his bass-playing heroes. He uses a lot of treble, he told me, which played a huge part in Entwistle's playing.
He wants a Fender 60's RI P-bass or Jazz bass, both of which Entwistle loved. I tried showing him the Ric 4001V63, but he said, "As kick [butt] as it is, I can't afford it!"
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Try 079900.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Both are cool chords, I just like thirds. :D
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

jdogric12aolcom wrote:Try 079900.
I like that one quite a bit. :)
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

sloop_john_b wrote:Both are cool chords, I just like thirds. :D
A mind like yours, JB, will surely outgrow that. Soon after, you'll get sick of fifths too. Eventually you will tire of the whole tertian system. You have been warned! :)
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

All I have to say is:

All I wanna do is rock!
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

jdogric12aolcom wrote:
sloop_john_b wrote:Both are cool chords, I just like thirds. :D
A mind like yours, JB, will surely outgrow that. Soon after, you'll get sick of fifths too. Eventually you will tire of the whole tertian system. You have been warned! :)
Just make your own chords up; put your fingers on the strings wherever they sound good.
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

JakeK wrote:I was reading Whotabs.com, and noticed that Townshend took out the third in his "E" chord making it look something like:

Having two Fenders with a 25 3/4 scale neck, I have to strain my hand to try and do this, so when I play Who songs, I just make an "E" the old fashioned way. When I get that 1997SPC, however, I'll be playing my "E" chords the Townshend way not only in Who songs, but also with The Beatles, The Stones and Petty, just trying to experiment with new ways of playing the songs.

I've noticed these days, I've been playing a lot like Townshend. Adding aggresiveness and flourishes to a lot of what I play. I was even doing a windmill on my Strat, and tore up my thumb pretty bad.

How many of you guys find yourselves making Townshend's "E" chord and/or playing in his aggressive style not only for Who songs, but for your own originals or even Beatles, Stones, etc. music?
His agressiveness, power chords, windmilling, and stage moves have been a big influence on me for years. No, make that decades.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

kiramdear wrote:All I have to say is:

Been a hard days' night, eh Kira?

JimK
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Wow, talk about a thread revival. I started reading, and didn't realize it was old until I got to my own post!
scotty

Post by scotty »

ok im more of a 076900 man.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I rather like 022434. Another cool one is 0X6757, and then there's 0,X,9,9,9,10. Seventh chords...ya gotta love 'em! :mrgreen:

JimK

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”