Could I possibly be joining my first band?

Putting music theory into practice
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Could I possibly be joining my first band?

Post by JakeK »

Wednesday at school, my best friend Jacob (coincidence, isn't it?) and I were talking how cool it would be if we had a band. We played all Classic Rock and Blues covers as well as some originals written by our friends Dylan and DJ. Jacob said, "I was actually talking to Dylan and DJ about jamming. Wanna play rhythm guitar?" Of course, I jumped on it, and said, "Hell yes!" So Jacob and I thought about it and we thought the lineup would be:

Jacob - lead vocals (and possibly harmonica)
Myself - rhythm guitar, backing vocals, occasional lead vocals
DJ - lead guitar (he mostly plays rhythm, so this could be a good change for him), occasional lead vocals
Dylan - bass guitar (and possibly backing vocals)

We thought the lineup looked great, except all we needed was a drummer. I went over to the marching band's room to find my friend David. Jacob and I knew he played drums after playing in a small orchestra for one of the plays we were in last year. I asked the marching band where he was, they said they didn't know. I found him by the cafeteria, and told him Jacob needed to see him. So when we found Jacob, the three of us conversed about the band. David said he'd be up for it whenever we were ready, and that was that.

Could I be joining my first band and I don't even know it? :mrgreen: If I am, wish me luck! Now, all I need is a VOX AC-30 HW2 and a Ric 1997 to be ready to go... (you see, DJ and Dylan have the big tube amplifiers, and my Telecaster and Marshall DFX-30 practice amp won't sound or look right with all that fine equipment)
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: Could I possibly be joining my first band?

Post by kiramdear »

Awesome, Jake! Totally go for it! Don't worry about your gear or how you look, but put what you have into the music and everything will go great. You've been practicing long enough on your own to be able to get something fun rolling with the others in no time, I'm sure. Just remember that it gets complicated when you join together; you have to stay friends and treat each other with respect before any business concerns. Good ethics, good communication and positive spirit will see you through the inevitable squalls. Just everyone agree to put the music first, always, and let consensus rule. :)
All I wanna do is rock!
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Thanks for the pep talk, Kira. We're hoping that we can play our first gig soon. I know, I have to put my heart into the music more than the looks, but I just want to be HEARD, not muffled.

Our first gig (or at least I have it scheduled for) Nov. 18 after school for the cheerleaders. This is an "encore" performance from last year. Last year, on Oct. 24, there was this cheerleader who I liked, and I had wanted her to know that I played guitar. She knew it, but when I asked her if she wanted to hear me with my friend Chris (we'd jam along to CDs), she was always hesitant. I thought enough is enough. I went (alone, with no backing music or anything) with my 660/12 to cheerleading practice and played "Saving Grace" by Tom Petty for all the cheerleaders. The girls enjoyed it so much, that I played "American Girl". Then I left. This time, I want to be with a full band. I've got to think of what songs to play, but whatever we play, they'll be good enough to, as Jacob says, "blow the short pants off those cheerleaders!"
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Ah, Jake, a noble aspiration, I'm sure :)
All I wanna do is rock!
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

JakeK wrote:Now, all I need is a VOX AC-30 HW2 and a Ric 1997 to be ready to go... (you see, DJ and Dylan have the big tube amplifiers, and my Telecaster and Marshall DFX-30 practice amp won't sound or look right with all that fine equipment)
Ah, reminds me of my first band. We all had nothing but the best in fine boutique gear, as any good band should. Solid state Peaveys all around, a $20 DOD distortion pedal at my feet, and a Premier Precision copy slung around my shoulder.

I'm being facetious of course, Jake, but seriously, don't get too hung up on "keeping up with the Joneses". I know you'll upgrade your rig first chance you get, but do your best with what you have (which isn't bad at all) for now.

Good luck to you and let us know your progress here.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

I can't even remember the brand names of the drek I played in my first band, or what happened to them. Except for that Vox Tone Bender, which I remember with great affection. Eventually I got a Kustom silver-sparkle tuck-and-roll amp head, and a cheap Kay solidbody. My first good guitar was a new 1972 SG Standard. That one I miss.
All I wanna do is rock!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Enjoy your first band, Jake! You already have gear that is better than your new bandmates, your 660TP! 8)
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

While it is a great little guitar, it probably won't be seeing much action. DJ has a Gibson J-160E. That's a pretty cool guitar itself. Dylan has an Ibanez bass, and a Mexican Fretless Jazz bass. He's a slap player, and wants a P-bass. I still think the 4001V63 would suit him.
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

JakeK wrote:While it is a great little guitar, it probably won't be seeing much action. DJ has a Gibson J-160E. That's a pretty cool guitar itself. Dylan has an Ibanez bass, and a Mexican Fretless Jazz bass. He's a slap player, and wants a P-bass. I still think the 4001V63 would suit him.
Jake, if Dylan wants to slap, a J-bass or MM-bass configuration will offer better tone than a P-bass. The 1/2 inch spacing of the 4001V63 neck pickup can make slapping challenging for someone starting out, though it can sound great.

But that's missing the point - cool gear is fun but not a priority - all gear these days is reliable, which is the biggest technical issue. Get out and play play play! That's what it's about!
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

JakeK wrote:While it is a great little guitar, it probably won't be seeing much action. DJ has a Gibson J-160E. That's a pretty cool guitar itself. Dylan has an Ibanez bass, and a Mexican Fretless Jazz bass. He's a slap player, and wants a P-bass. I still think the 4001V63 would suit him.
So why won't you be using the Rick? :?:
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

sloop_john_b wrote:Ah, reminds me of my first band. We all had nothing but the best in fine boutique gear, as any good band should. Solid state Peaveys all around, a $20 DOD distortion pedal at my feet, and a Premier Precision copy slung around my shoulder.
Hey, I was in that band too! :lol: :lol: :lol:
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

"blow the short pants off those cheerleaders!"

Now that's just brilliant. :lol:
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

sloop_john_b wrote:So why won't you be using the Rick? :?:
I don't think there will be any 12-string rhythm I can use it on...unless we do Tom Petty...with me on vocals. Nobody in the band likes the post-Wilbury Petty stuff ('88-present), aside from me.

Noel: Thanks. Jacob came up with it, and we repeat it frequently. :D
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

JakeK wrote:
I don't think there will be any 12-string rhythm I can use it on...unless we do Tom Petty...with me on vocals. Nobody in the band likes the post-Wilbury Petty stuff ('88-present), aside from me.D
Find songs it will fit in, the guitar is versatile enough to do more than just Petty/Byrds/Beatles songs.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

jps wrote:
JakeK wrote:
I don't think there will be any 12-string rhythm I can use it on...unless we do Tom Petty...with me on vocals. Nobody in the band likes the post-Wilbury Petty stuff ('88-present), aside from me.D
Find songs it will fit in, the guitar is versatile enough to do more than just Petty/Byrds/Beatles songs.
You beat me to it, Jeff. Half the fun is doing the unexpected at a musically unexpected time. That's what rehearsal is for. :wink:

JimK

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”