Could I possibly be joining my first band?

Putting music theory into practice
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Re: Could I possibly be joining my first band?

Post by JakeK »

We were supposed to have our first rehearsal/get to know each other session on Saturday, but David's going somewhere...I hope we can do it sooner rather than later. I might have a ****** amp, but I've got two great guitars (Highway 1 Tele and 660/12), and that's pretty good, I guess.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The lead guitarist in the Lemon Antennas loves his Highway 1 Tele.
tennis_nick
Intermediate Member

Post by tennis_nick »

JakeK wrote:We were supposed to have our first rehearsal/get to know each other session on Saturday, but David's going somewhere...I hope we can do it sooner rather than later. I might have a ****** amp, but I've got two great guitars (Highway 1 Tele and 660/12), and that's pretty good, I guess.
Jake, I want to sound as nice as possible when I say this, because I'm hoping you get something positive out of it. ready?

YOU ARE WAY TO TIED UP IN GEAR!

It's great that you want the best of the best, and you look to your idols to see what they have, but these guys are
a. Much Older than you
b. Make a living playing these instruments
c. Were probably fantastic musicians BEFORE they got this stuff!

What I mean to say is, Focus on your PLAYING, and not WHAT YOU'RE PLAYING. The consequence is more dangerous than you may realize.. There are websites full of people with 15-30 guitars, 7 amps that cost over $2000 but they can't play any of their stuff well, because they spent their practice time on a gear hunt!

When you play for a crowd, you'll be the only one who cares that your Vox is handwired, you'll be the only one thinking about your middle pickup, you'll be the only one thinking about the pickguard on your guitar, The crowd wants MUSIC.

Seeing you on this board so much, at such a young age tells me that you are passionate about music, much like I was, and continue to be. I fell for the same trap you're heading for. After 3 years of playing, I spent more time looking for the next best thing. when I finally stopped, my playing improved exponentially because I learned to do more with what I had!

You have the tools Jake, you just need to use em!

Again, sorry if that sounded mean, it was meant as a positive thing!

Now go out there and RAWK!!!!
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Well said, Nick! Being on a forum like this, surrounded by gear heads, can have the ability to make one lose sight of the reason that all this gear exists in the first place - to make music.

As I said in a previous post, my first band all had **** equipment for the first two or three years we were playing together, and that includes the time we started gigging. It didn't matter - we were young, writing and rehearsing all the time, and it was fun and exciting. We never got discouraged by the fact that our gear wasn't exactly boutique stuff.

Even after I finally got the coveted 4003, I used a pretty crummy bass rig (cheapo Peavey combo) until I finally upgraded only a year and a half ago! It never mattered to me - it was loud and reliable.

To summarize:
You don't *need* anything handwired. You don't *need* an F-hole.

You *need* a decently loud amp, an electric guitar that preferably has all six strings on it, your fingers, and some creativity.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Nick and John, you've made me see the light. Seeing what great stuff all most forumites have make me completely jealous, and I want to "keep up with the Joneses" and have just as good if not better. It would be a dream to have a tube amp and a f-hole Rickenbacker, but I've got a Highway 1 Tele and a Marshall DFX-30.

In the day, a Ric and a VOX amp were called **** by others, (Tony Sheridan called Lennon's Ric 325 ****), but after the Beatles became famous, they became great, and everyone wanted them. Who knows? That f-hole Ric and AC-30 HW will be waiting for me. Right now I gotta practice with what I got.

Again, thanks, Nick and John. :)
tennis_nick
Intermediate Member

Post by tennis_nick »

Glad to help, but you've reminded me... I have to go practice too! I've got a special night planned...
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Sorry I missed this thread, I was at band practice.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

jdogric12aolcom wrote:Sorry I missed this thread, I was at band practice.
Sure you weren't at Rumbleseat? :)
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

No but I did eat some Taco Bell yesterday.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

I ate Taco Bell yesterday, too, Jdog. Weird how the world works! :P

Got any advice to lend me on joining my first band, Jdog? :)
tennis_nick
Intermediate Member

Post by tennis_nick »

JakeK wrote:I ate Taco Bell yesterday, too, Jdog. Weird how the world works! :P

Got any advice to lend me on joining my first band, Jdog? :)
Skip Taco Bell before meeting with bookers!

Or... always carry gum.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Be prepared to decide to 1) be a complete a-hole and have things your way, or 2) make lots of compromises and have lots of fun. In recent years I've switched from 1 to 2.
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

tennis_nick wrote:... The crowd wants MUSIC. ...
I once had a wise friend (who's been playing in bands for over 40 years) tell me that 95% of the crowd couldn't tell the difference between vintage Marshall stack and a solid state Fender.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

jdogric12aolcom wrote:Be prepared to decide to 1) be a complete a-hole and have things your way, or 2) make lots of compromises and have lots of fun. In recent years I've switched from 1 to 2.
I dunno, Dog, I think I'd like to try number one for a change. Maybe it would succeed :lol:
All I wanna do is rock!
tennis_nick
Intermediate Member

Post by tennis_nick »

wmthor wrote:
tennis_nick wrote:... The crowd wants MUSIC. ...
I once had a wise friend (who's been playing in bands for over 40 years) tell me that 95% of the crowd couldn't tell the difference between vintage Marshall stack and a solid state Fender.
And I'd agree to a point. because the LOOK of a Marshall stack... That's ROck and Roll!

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”