Chords used by Weller

Putting music theory into practice
Braineater

Chords used by Weller

Post by Braineater »

Hello,
could someone tell me which kind of chords does Weller use?I saw a video and they seems a particular chords.
Thank you.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Chords used by Weller

Post by admin »

Alberto: In the songs I have seen him play he is using standard tuning and chords for the most part. Do you have a song in mind? To what video are your referring?

Here is an example of something that might be considered somewhat unorthodox, but still standard tuning.

Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

:lol:

Maybe he meant cords, Peter.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

mmm... brains.... BRAINS!!!!!
Braineater

Post by Braineater »

I went to a Weller's gig 2 days ago, I saw him playing strange chords for me (I'm a very modest guitar player), in the high fretboard or without barrè.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the clarification Alberto. I will be on the look out for them. So much to know, so little time.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
stubby
Intermediate Member

Post by stubby »

They might be open type chords or chord fragments (for lack of a better term). Often the basic chord you learn from chord charts and the like don't have the right voicing although they are obviously the right chord. Pete Townsend is a guy that uses different voicings very well. For example, if you're playing a G chord, you might want to try playing the following notes: G(8th) on B string, D (7th) on G string, B (9th) on D string. This is one simple example and the variations are endless - 3 or 4 or 5 note chords. You can hit chords all over the neck, it's just a matter of hitting the right combination of fingering. You might want to start by taking common chord forms, keeping your finger positions the same and simply moving them up the neck taking bits and parts of the chord to see what works. You'll find lots of open chord positions or parts of the chord that work nicely all the way up the neck. It's all patterns right?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I do a lot of partial, open string chording in many of my original work.
Braineater

Post by Braineater »

Thank you for the answers!Now I understand the form of construction. Does anyone have all this patterns?I have to play a lot of weller and jam songs, I would know all the chords used by Weller.
Thank you!
stubby
Intermediate Member

Post by stubby »

Technically, what is considered a chord anyway? I've heard some people assert that two notes sounded together are a chord but I've always considered a chord to be 3 or more notes sounded together. What say the theorymen on this?

It's interesting though how dominant those initially learned/most heavily used forms are to our way of thinking about guitar chords.
tennis_nick
Intermediate Member

Post by tennis_nick »

stubby wrote:Technically, what is considered a chord anyway? I've heard some people assert that two notes sounded together are a chord but I've always considered a chord to be 3 or more notes sounded together. What say the theorymen on this?

It's interesting though how dominant those initially learned/most heavily used forms are to our way of thinking about guitar chords.
3 notes or more is a chord. 2 notes is an interval.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

There are many opinions on the theory. Many will say all you need for a chord is two notes. To make a dominant seventh, for example, all you need are the root and the seventh. I don't have a solid definition in my mind. It is all whatever you want to call it, when it comes down to it.

There are lots of things that go along with chords, too, like pedal tones (not always in the bass), mixed chords, alternates, etc.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I would agree that two notes can make up a chord. In my experience with writing diatonic choral music with up to four voices sounding simultaneously, the essentials are the root and the third. No fifth necessary. Bach would approve, too. :wink:
Braineater

Post by Braineater »

Thank you everybody.
I'm only interested to learn the chords used by weller (3 or more notes), because I have to play some songs.
Anyone could help me?
Thank you.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Braineater wrote:Thank you everybody.
I'm only interested to learn the chords used by weller (3 or more notes), because I have to play some songs.
Anyone could help me?
Thank you.
Tell us the songs and we'll tell you how to play them!

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”