Try

Putting music theory into practice
admin
Site Admin

Try

Post by admin »

I would like to ask for your assistance in the chords used in the following verse of Blue Rodeo's Try
C#m                          D               
2. Every time you walk in the room, 
                   Bm
I couldn't ever be sure of a smile
           D                   C#m
You were never the same way twice,
                   D                  Bm             D
I'm falling in love, oh, night after night, oh it's crazy Ooh, Ooh
The chords in the third line above are not quite right although it may also be a matter of timing here. What do you think?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: Try

Post by kiramdear »

[quote="admin"]I would like to ask for your assistance in the chords used in the following verse of Blue Rodeo's Try.
C#m                              D               
2. Every time you walk in the room, 
                 Bm
I couldn't ever be sure of a smile
          D-D-D-D          C#m
You were never the same way twice,
                   D                  Bm             D
I'm falling in love, oh, night after night, oh it's crazy Ooh, Ooh
You got it right, Peter, it just is a matter of hitting those four D chordstrokes accurately. Dah-Dah-uhm-Dah-uhm-Dah-uhm-uhm. The vocal line belies the chord change and makes the D sound a little unfamiliar for a sec. I love those kind of color changes.

Do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? :lol: :lol:
All I wanna do is rock!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Kira, I appreciate your counsel in this matter. I cannot begin to count the times that I have looked for something more complex than was the case. This is another case of less is more, it would seem. Not a bad number, either. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

It's a good song, very hooky but not too saccharine. The one change you looked at makes the dramatic moment of the refrain, kind of like when you reach the top on the swingset as a kid with your feet stuck way out in the air. It's stuck in my head like glue now, all day I'm afraid :evil: :wink: :lol:
All I wanna do is rock!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Kira: Sorry, I did not mean to try your patience.

kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

No problem at all; that happens every time I learn a new song :lol: It's just another section of the great soundtrack in my head :lol: Always happy to help!
All I wanna do is rock!

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”