Reverb

Putting music theory into practice
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Reverb

Post by JakeK »

Who likes to use Reverb on an instrument? Which one? I think a little Reverb sounds great for 50s Country, Rockabilly, Surf and even a little Blues, but too much is a bad thing, to me.

Blackface Fender amps have the best onboard reverb, to me. Nothing sounds better than a good tube-driven spring reverb. I bet the brownface '63 RI Fender Reverb just kicks. I'm sure we've got people who will agree and disagree that Fender Reverb is the best, so let's hear it!

Does anyone like reverb on a vocal? I think it's a bit too much and unnecessary at times, especially on a good vocal.
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Re: Reverb

Post by lennon211 »

I'm a fan of it...a little on most of the things that I play and a lot on a few songs here and there. I use my '63 Reverb RI with my Bassman since it doesn't have it. The reverb on my AC-30 HW Limited Ed. is quite good and sounds very similar to some Fender onboard reverbs.

As to the use of it on vocals, there are some where it sounds good and some where it's too much. Some slap-back echo on old-school rockabilly guitar and vocals is always appreciated though.
Sarcasm just doesn't come through when you're typing...
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I like it!

A little goes a long way, on both guitar and vocals.

I'm a big fan of the Fender Reverb sound. I was a long time Fender Twin Reverb player before switching to AC30s, so I was really taken with the Fender reverb sound. I used to use a Fender standalone reverb unit with my AC 30s, but I got tired of carrying around, pluging in, and running another lead to an additional piece of gear. I bought a Van Amps "Sole Mate" pedal spring reverb unit because it uses a real Accutronics spring reverb tank, yet it is still small enough to fit inside my pedal board, so I can get all the Fender-type reverb sound I need. :D having it as a pedal also eliminates the need to run out and coil up an additional footswitch every time I set up, and the unit even has an additional switch button and auxiliary out so one can run a lead from the switch to the vibrato swtich jack onthe back of one's amp if desired-especially handy for brown face and tweed Fender-style amp players who like their vibrato!
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

I'm not generally a fan of reverb. But, in contrast to what you posted, Jake, I do like it on vocal. I just feel that wooden instruments should create their own space. But I do use other effects, so go figure...
Can we have everything louder than everything else?
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

I'm not a fan of excessive use of reverb on bass, but I love dollops of it for guitar. I find my clumsy playing is beautifully masked when it sounds like I'm in a three-mile long tunnel!

The spring reverb on my Mesa Boogie is great, and digital Line6 reverb is pretty cool, as is my T-Rex room-mate pedal (tiny thing that it is). The T-Rex does a great job and weighs next to nothing... good for my aging back..... unlike the Mesa-Boogie....
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I cannot get enough of reverb, echo, vibrato and tremolo effects. Having said that, I believe that a very little bit of any of these effects goes a long way. For me, less is more.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I always have the reverb on.
harley

Post by harley »

Reverb is like Brylcreem, a little dab'll do you, but a little dab is almost always a good thing. ;)
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I like this set-up. I run my Rick 360/12 into two amps: the neck p/u into my Musicman RD150 with the reverb turned up all the way, the bridge p/u into my Kustom via an MXR Carbon Copy analog delay with the Regen knob at 8:00, the Mix knob at 2:00 and the Delay knob at about 9:00. Great for Rockabilly, or some country/blues type stuff.
JimK
indianation65

Post by indianation65 »

I do love reverb, dancin' around 3 or 4...
The rule of thumb for me is reverb on single coils, 50 % of the time on P90s and rarely, if ever, on humbuckers! Here is a champ of the Tele, the Princeton and the reverb...I could watch this man over, and over, and over, and over, and over again...as a matter of fact, I do watch him over, and over, and over, and over, and over again!

...wisdom through echo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHVG4kDurtY
Indian Folklore and Wisdom—Love, Learn, Listen
bvstudios

Post by bvstudios »

With my Ric, set the reverb on about 4, set the chorus on my JC77 on auto and enjoy the Jangle! With my Strat- kill the chorus and add a little slapback from my Zoom pedal, unless I'm running a little in OD land, then kill the echo. With my Chet Atkins, crank the reverb up to 7.5, use the slapback and add just a little OD for Brian Setzer, and kill the OD for everything else.

But with my Fender Pre- keep it flat, no reverb, no echo and definitely no chorus...!
qwezirider
Intermediate Member

Post by qwezirider »

From a recording perspective, no reverb on bass and kick, but the right amount is nice on most other instruments. then again, I like futzing more with a stereo delay for the illusion of reverb rather than reverb itself...or in addition to.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

paologregorio wrote: I bought a Van Amps "Sole Mate" pedal spring reverb unit because it uses a real Accutronics spring reverb tank, yet it is still small enough to fit inside my pedal board, so I can get all the Fender-type reverb sound I need. :D
Sheesh, I could paqrk my 18 wheeler on Pauls board and still have room! :lol:

Seriously though, yer pedal sounds great!
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

I bought an original Fender blackface Reverb unit and it sounds simply amazing.
I love reverb and sometimes I enjoy sending out only the wet signal for a true dreamy sound
So long and thanks for all the fish!
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

jps wrote:I always have the reverb on.
With your bass??
So long and thanks for all the fish!

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”