Singing if you're not a singer

Putting music theory into practice
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: Singing if you're not a singer

Post by jimk »

admin wrote:So does the singer make the song or the song make the singer?
I think it's a toss-up. Billie Holiday was a great singer. Some of the material that she recorded was utter drivel. But she made it interesting because she was a real artist.
JimK
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

When I recorded my first CD of Byrds and early R.E.M. tunes, I tried to do all the vocals myself, with no training. I immediately discovered that certain keys were easier for me than others; but the consensus among listeners seemed to be "Congrats on the guitar tones, but rework those vocals!" Which is why I've never posted any of my Byrds covers here. One thing's for sure: the next time I record, I'll bring in someone else to do the vocals! :lol:
pocaloc

Post by pocaloc »

Is there anything you can do, like gargling something, that will help with throat issues. I realize a have a weak voice, but sometimes just singing along with the stereo in my guitar my throat itches and I have to cough. Any I'm not even talking about singing really loud.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I've heard of gargling with salt water. I've also heard of gargling with a mixture of water and a twist of lemon. I don't do either. So YMMV. If it feels good, do it.
JimK
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

George Harrison gargled a mixture of warm water, honey and vinegar on his 1974 Dark Horse tour, while battling a shot voice. I've done when I've had a sore throat and it really helps, I could hack my brains out and not feel a thing.
rickboy1689

Post by rickboy1689 »

JakeK wrote:George Harrison gargled a mixture of warm water, honey and vinegar on his 1974 Dark Horse tour, while battling a shot voice. I've done when I've had a sore throat and it really helps, I could hack my brains out and not feel a thing.
seen the videos...didnt exactly work wonders for him :wink:
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

If I'm desperate, I'll drop a Ricola (the OG kind) in a cup of hot (always DECAF) tea with a bit of honey. Usually though, it just ends up being a few beers, a shot of Jameson, and a prayer. :lol:
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Southern Comfort straight up on ice works well on tired vocal cords. Not that I would know anything about that in particular. :lol:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I prefer to stay away from alcohol at rehearsals, or on stage. The best thing I have found is just water, no ice with a twist of lemon.
JimK
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I just stick my earplugs in nice and deep and don't think about it to much. :mrgreen: I can't hear myself out of the monitors, anyway. :evil:
fluffy
Intermediate Member

Post by fluffy »

Unfortunately this topic title is too true in today's pop radio market. Don't fret about your ability to sing or not, just buy a sampler and an auto tune and you are golden :?
♪♫♪♫I need new strings, these ones have a bunch of dang wrong notes on 'em ♫♪♫♪

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/thesubtleties
rickboy1689

Post by rickboy1689 »

fluffy wrote:Unfortunately this topic title is too true in today's pop radio market. Don't fret about your ability to sing or not, just buy a sampler and an auto tune and you are golden :?
autotune isnt a bad thing. it moves hectic sessions along and eases a lot of frustration for the artist, engineer, and producer. it is also a time saver and therefore a money saver.

autotune wont do anything to help the tone of your voice - you still have to sound good. its not some magic software that makes your voice perfect.

i dont believe things will be going back to the way they were before so youn can either accept it or stick to your old records. neither is wrong or right. but pop music audiences demand a slick sound and autotune helps the artist get there.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

"Singing is sustained talking."
Prof. Harold Hill
Don't let democracy end democracy.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”