From the Don't Mess With Success Dep't

Putting music theory into practice
jimk
RRF Consultant

From the Don't Mess With Success Dep't

Post by jimk »

There's something interesting I've observed about my own guitar playing. It seems that hybrid picking (flat pick and fingers) comes more easily on Rickenbackers and Telecasters, and finger picking is cleaner on my Gretsch 5120 and my acoustic S.L. Mossman. Two reasons I can think of are the string spacing on each guitar, and the rest of it can be attributed to practicing methods. I can hybrid pick on the Gretsch and the Mossman, but to my ear, it's a little sloppy. This is something that I just wanted to share with some one, because only guitar geeks would understand. Your thoughts/experiences?
JimK
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Re: From the Don't Mess With Success Dep't

Post by Ivan3000 »

Thats really interesting. When I get the chance to play Rick 12's I pick differently, I almost swoop the pick across the strings comparted to strum it.
Also, what I've found is that I prefer to use a pick while playing bass, but use my thumb and pointer-finger on acoustic guitar. Then a pick on electric guitar.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

String spacing is a key factor, but I think other things, that may get overlooked, is body shape, depth, how we hold the guitar, etc., things that change the way we interface, ergonomically, with any particular instrument.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

jps wrote:String spacing is a key factor, but I think other things, that may get overlooked, is body shape, depth, how we hold the guitar, etc., things that change the way we interface, ergonomically, with any particular instrument.
Very true, it is defineately a different world when sitting down VS standing up, thats why I try to have my straps the length of what my chosen instrument would be sitting down, so while standing up, the two are equal.

This doesn't influence my playing, but would using the guitar to rest the arm influence anyones, ie and acoustic VS a strat?
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

I try not to hold an instrument like this:

Seriously, in all honesty, I'm seldom without a flat pick. Electric, acoustic, bass, 12-string, 6-string. I tend to use Herco medium picks on electric guitars, heavy Fender tortoiseshell picks on acoustic and Dunlop extra heavy picks on bass. That works for me, may not be right, but that's what I'm most comfortable with. I usually hold the pick between my thumb and index finger with the rest of my fingers outstretched.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

I use this on everything except acoustic:
And this on acoustic:

I hold my picks with my thumb and two fingers and the other ones curled up. I will occasionally finger and thumb the bass.

Also, I always put my thumb over the neck VS behind it.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

IvanMunoz wrote:I use this on everything except acoustic:
And this on acoustic:

I hold my picks with my thumb and two fingers and the other ones curled up. I will occasionally finger and thumb the bass.

Also, I always put my thumb over the neck VS behind it.
I don't know the thickness of either that I use, but that's what they look like, the decals are well worn off.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”