Forum Topics End up on Google ???

Rules, posting instructions and the latest news.
BlueHelmet

Re: Forum Topics End up on Google ???

Post by BlueHelmet »

ah, thanks. let's hope that it stays like this :)
Just another Rickenbacker noob. // Also, not a native speaker of English - feel free to correct me and improve my English anytime you like.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Using your real name keeps everyone suprisingly civil...
BlueHelmet

Post by BlueHelmet »

That's true. Well, perhaps I can fill in some blank spaces to still keep the real name, but keep computers from understanding it. I think I've seen something like this around here.
Just another Rickenbacker noob. // Also, not a native speaker of English - feel free to correct me and improve my English anytime you like.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Joe: I hope this is an effective compromise. Gil has done his very best to keep our names restricted to the RRF. To promise a cradle to grave guarantee that nothing will find its way to the web from here is not possible but we have done our very best to colour between the lines. Also, to my way of thinking, it is valuable for students to see that teachers are real people too. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
BlueHelmet

Post by BlueHelmet »

If this is okay with the forum administration, it is fine with me as well :) Thanks.

And you are absolutely correct. Students should see more often that their teachers are real people - still, there have been lots of cases in the German-speaking world lately where online activity has come back to bite somebody. Therefore I try keeping my nickname and realname separated, as I use that nickname on various platforms. Which I probably shouldn't ...
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Well, in my humble opinion, as long as your online dealings are completely above board and honest, etc. there shouldn't be any issue with them coming back to bite you. And the real names only help to that end...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
BlueHelmet

Post by BlueHelmet »

I think that's too easy. Okay, e.g. Mr Zuckerberg has a very similar opinion - still, I think he's wrong. You never know what twisted people try using against you, and the more information they get, the more they can use to break your neck, even if it's all honest and unproblematic. Some employers may even be offended by the fact that someone is posting in online forums at all.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Well, you're right, you can't control what other people do. But it seems to me, the more one tries to hide/obscure their identity, the more it tends to look like they have something to hide...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
mojobebop

Post by mojobebop »

i noticed this awhile ago. even with posts on other forums. or on aol posts when i googled my own name. it surprised me.
for a guitar forum i wouldn't give it a second thought,. but for political threads, etc. i would rather it not be out there sometimes.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Remember this:

Never, ever put anything on the internet that you wouldn't want everyone in the world to see and save for future reference...
'Cause that's exactly what will probably happen...
Last edited by cjj on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Oops! :mrgreen: :lol:
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

jps wrote:Oops! :mrgreen: :lol:
Too late eh Jeff? :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I usually receive a couple of emails per month asking me the contact information for the amp tech I posted about here on the forum from people who used Google.
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Ever since I modified the forum to avoid displaying the real names for unregistered users and search bots there is no chance that any search bot recorded any real name unless it was written in the post itself.
If someone mailed you it means that they found the thread via google, registered to the forum and emailed you through the forum (you can either email a user or send a PM), email addresses were never shown to the public, in fact - even registered users could not see other users' emails and can email them only via forum.

Run a quick test by searching for something that will be found on rickresource and check google's cache.
So long and thanks for all the fish!
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

Thank you so much Gil!

It is wonderful to have someone with your technical skills helping us here. It is very much appreciated! I love to participate in our forum discussions but also value my privacy.

You are quite the mensch :)

Dan

Return to “Rules and Questions for Admin ONLY”