Is there a way to remain logged in for longer periods?

Rules, posting instructions and the latest news.
radioactive

Is there a way to remain logged in for longer periods?

Post by radioactive »

Is there a way to remain signed into the forum for longer periods of time? I usually have to go thru the log in procedure on the RRF several times a day often a couple times witbin an hour,, rarely do I remain logged in for more than a few hours. I do use the keep me logged in option at sign in.
I belong to a couple of other guitar related forums, where I remain signed in for months. Thanks!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: Is there a way to remain logged in for longer periods?

Post by cjj »

I don't have an answer other than it has something to do with your computer itself. I have one computer that is just fine with staying logged in pretty much forever using the keep logged in check box. I have another one that will not keep me logged in for more than a day. Well, I'm not sure how long really since I don't use it for checking the forum too often, it's just that whenever I do, I have to do the login procedure on that one...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
radioactive

Post by radioactive »

I'd like to think that it's my computer, but this is the only forum of about a dozen I belong to, that un-logs me after a hour or so.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Yeah, I have the same thing, my "main" computer has no problems with this or any other forum, the "other" one only has problems staying logged into this forum. They're both running XP Pro, and I'm using Firefox on both, but they behave differently so I'm assuming it's something on the machine itself.

You might want to send a PM to Gil (gibsonlp) since he's the main code guy behind this forum...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
radioactive

Post by radioactive »

Thanks, I'll send him an email, I just adjusted the sensitivity setting for my virus checker/security and it didn't make any difference, still get booted off. I've had to log in twice since I responded above. Robert
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Your problem is your ISP... :|

You are using AOL which in many cases jumps you mid session from one proxy to another on different networks (IE: one time you browse from X.Y.Z.A and in an hour or so you'll log in from X.Y.A.B).
I have made a small modification to our security settings, please tell me if that helps.
So long and thanks for all the fish!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Hmm, that may be Rob's problem, but it doesn't explain what's going on with my "other" machine. Not that it's a big deal since my main computer seems just fine, which is why I haven't tried to figure it out. But now it's got me curious. Both these machines are on my home network, going through the same router, DSL modem and ISP so in my case it's got to be some setting with the machine itself.

I'll have to see if this issue shows up on the other machines as well, two are Macs so they're probably completely different...
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Well,
Normally it the usual cookies problem - you'll need to clean up your cookies and try again, but in his case - I am pretty sure it's his ISP.
radioactive

Post by radioactive »

gibsonlp wrote:Your problem is your ISP... :|

You are using AOL which in many cases jumps you mid session from one proxy to another on different networks (IE: one time you browse from X.Y.Z.A and in an hour or so you'll log in from X.Y.A.B).
I have made a small modification to our security settings, please tell me if that helps.
Appreciate the help! Nothing has changed on this end, I just had to sign in, as I did perhaps 3 time in the last 24 hours. I understand that the suspicion is that my ISP and AOL are to blame, but how come The Les Paul Forum, My Les Paul, The Gear Pages, Telecaster
TDPRI, UMGF, The Steel Guitar Forum and even the Corporate Rickenbacker forum don't require repeated log-ins. In fact, I've been logged into most of them for the past 6 months, and the only time I've had to log-in to these sites is when I've done service on my laptop. If it's AOL and my ISP as has been suggested wouldn't I have the same issues with other sites? Thanks for everyone's help!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

All fair questions. There seems to be more to this than first meets the eye.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Hi Rob,
The answer is that this is a well known problem with AOL and phpBB3 due to the new security mechanisms in phpBB3, however - since I changed the settings and it should have solved your problem and it didn't, it means that this is something else.
Any chance you could clean your browser's cache and cookies? (please note that by cleaning your cookie you will have to re-login to any other site). In most cases the problem is with some cookies.
If you can't clean you cookies - can you try an alternate browser? (perhaps opera) just to try and see if it helps.
radioactive

Post by radioactive »

will do, Thanks for the answers. Rob.
radioactive

Post by radioactive »

Gil..... I think the asetting.djustment you made is working as I've been continually signed on for a couple days now. So tentatively Thanks very much! I'll keep you informed. appreciate your help. Rob
radioactive

Post by radioactive »

Still getting bounced off, but Thanks for you help Gil.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

My computer's set up to automatically log me in to the site anytime I click on the link, so it's the computer, rather than the RRF site. :D

Return to “Rules and Questions for Admin ONLY”