Marketplace Forum Restriction For New Members

Rules, posting instructions and the latest news.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Re: Marketplace Forum Restriction For New Members

Post by doctorwho »

I understand completely! :)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Devil's advocate here... why the restrictions? It only causes people to post in other sections, mods having to police more often etc... why not just let them, who just come here for the marketplace access the marketplace right from joining as member?

The 30 post rule does not protect a seller against bad buyers anyway. As it is now we hardly know the people who quickly post 30 posts to access the marketplace. Maybe it should just be visible to all members - members only, one has to log-in to see it - no matter how long one is a member or how many posts they made. If people like the forum they will stay anyway, if they're just here for the marketplace they will leave anyway as well once they've gotten to 30 posts and didn't find what they were looking for in the marketplace or posted their for sale on ebay ad?

Imo, the whole 30 post rule is a silly thing, that serves no purpose whatsoever.
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

doctorwho wrote:I understand completely! :)
I thought I did as well...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Werner, good points on all fronts. But why the sugar-coating. :lol:

Certainly it is something that merits some discussion. I have held the line on it as the membership called for it at one point. There was some history of members experiencing hardship because we were not as alert as we might have been. Your post may have renewed interest in revisiting the topic. Let us see what other RRF members say.

P.S. Will you be staying then. :lol:
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

admin wrote:P.S. Will you be staying then. :lol:
Is this an invite for a free holiday at your home? :twisted:

Will be interesting to see what the others think about it, Peter! :D
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I think Werner got past 30 posts a while back. :lol:

Werner has made a good point IMO. I would also support removing this rule altogether. It will be interesting to see how the membership responds to this question.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

Seems like removing it may get more exposure to potential buyers. Most of us here are not going to send money to someone with 2 posts, or ship a guitar without verified payment.
Great Ramp In My Opinion.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

winston wrote:I think Werner got past 30 posts a while back. :lol:

Werner has made a good point IMO. I would also support removing this rule altogether. It will be interesting to see how the membership responds to this question.
I'll just comment to say briefly that it really may not make a difference how many posts one makes. An honest person is going to be honest, a crook will be a crook. As in life, "ya pays yer money and ya take yer chance."
JimK
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

IMHO there is only one good reason for keeping the marketplace forums a "members only" section and that is when RRF'rs share info about bad deals and poor sellers online...

Also the few times when we have spotted a "stolen" RIC - we obviously don't want to tip the seller before law enforcement...

If those threads were google able by the general public there could be repercussions back to Peter and the site...
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
Seans
Intermediate Member

Post by Seans »

You have 30 posts to decide whether this is a forum for you, the forum also gets a chance too.

Although I joined initially to find info that was being discussed on a guitar I was about to buy, I didn't make the 30 posts to find what you were saying before the deadline, but I did buy the guitar.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Werner, thanks for making lemonade as this is discussed. How much snow do you like during the summer? :lol:
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Ontario_RIC_fan wrote:IMHO there is only one good reason for keeping the marketplace forums a "members only" section and that is when RRF'rs share info about bad deals and poor sellers online...

Also the few times when we have spotted a "stolen" RIC - we obviously don't want to tip the seller before law enforcement...

If those threads were google able by the general public there could be repercussions back to Peter and the site...
If a judgment about, or mention of a bad deal can't be said aloud then I doubt the whole truth is spoken! Truth and reason based on clear arguments and proof don't need to hide, they stand by and for themselves!

Do you honestly think a seller of a stolen item is going to bother googling the item, if it might have been spotted as stolen? Really? I don't believe that for a second.

You would still need to know exactly what to google to find the site. I still don't see criminals googling all day checking if they have been found.
admin wrote:Werner, thanks for making lemonade as this is discussed. How much snow do you like during the summer? :lol:
Snow in summer? I once spend the summer above the polar circle in Finland. Sunshine all day, but 2 C... coldest summer I ever had... thanks, Peter :lol:
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Ontario_RIC_fan wrote:If those threads were google able by the general public there could be repercussions back to Peter and the site...
Brian, my proposal was that one would have to be member AND logged-in to see the threads. AFAIK forums can be set that way, like mod forums are not showing in Google either (at least not when well set-up). There would be no way for criminals to find the thread unless they joined the forum!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We can definitely set the Subforums so that they are seen only by RRF members that are logged in.

Major questions for me include whether having a RRF member with 30 posts makes dishonesty any less likely, whether 30 posts allow us to really know new members, whether RRF members lose any real advantage if new members have access from day one, whether the current rule encourages people to stick around in the long run and whether this rule is worth the time it takes to enforce.

I am inclined to answer no to all of the above.

sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

I'd say, the 30 posts rule only helps "identify" those who are in no way inclined to play by the rules.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.

Return to “Rules and Questions for Admin ONLY”