I NEED TO MAKE IT OFFICIAL

Rules, posting instructions and the latest news.
teb
Advanced Member

Re: I NEED TO MAKE IT OFFICIAL

Post by teb »

I really think factory poser-izing (Poseur-izing if you're French) is on the wrong track. Those workers could be more productive making first-line guitars ($79 SG Specials, pastel Mustangs that are just as ugly today as they were in 1965, etc.). Instead, these important steps should be done naturally. They should go down to the Guitar Center and hire some of those shredder dudes that make the place unbearable, lock them in a sound-proof room with a new guitar, a big amp and an unlimited supply of Twinkies and Mountain Dew. Let them "season" those new instruments for a week or two and then switch them out for fresh ones. It's kind of like aging cheese, only louder.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Speaking of terms......I noticed that I am listed here as being (or possibly having) an intermediate member..... I don't believe I've ever mentioned anything on the subject here on the forum. How are they making this measurement? Perhaps we should explore the dictionary for a better term for those who are short on posts....
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Can you imagine if this bizarre concept took hold on other industries?

Say, for instance, the automotive industry. Take a brand new car off the production line, go after it with hammers, sand blasters and various chemical sprays to make it look just like a rusted out junker ready for the scrap heap...
:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

jingle_jangle wrote:At Fender, Gibson, etc., it's done in teams, not by a single individual from cradle to grave.
Gangs are simply better at beating up pretty individuals, Paul :lol:

I love poserized... word of the month! :D
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

cjj wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

It's difficult, when a noun undergoes verbification and becomes a neologism...
Well, thats the whole problem right there. "Verbifying" a noun. Ta-daaaa! So someone attempts to make "relic" a verb or is it an adverb? Adjective? Dangling participle? (I keed). I'm more confused now............ :lol:
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Although I really like "trad" English, one of the better changes in the language, which help it to grow (and also trashify it) is the verbification of nouns.

Sounds-dumb stuff: "Coffee me" or "cigarette me".(Charlie Sheen: "Coke me.")

Colorful: "Relic my house".

I did bring this point up about 5 years ago, incidentally...why relic my guitars and then bring them home in a restored woodie wagon, to a house that was renovated?

Restoring and renovation increase the value of cars and houses. But beating and scarring a guitar makes it cost more. Huh? Odd how our social competitions work.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Can you imagine if this bizarre concept took hold on other industries?
Been out shopping for blue jeans lately? Talk about serious poserization. The only thing some of them lack is a little spray bottle tucked into the pocket containing something that makes them smell like dirty laundry.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

jingle_jangle wrote: But beating and scarring a guitar makes it cost more. Huh? Odd how our social competitions work.
It is interesting to me that the "relic" phenomenon appears confined to solidbody guitars. I know Gibson has tried "aging" hardware and finish on some semi-hollowbodies, for example, the Lee Ritenour ES 335 (discontinued), but that is more "artist model" replica and not true "drag it through gravel" wrelicking. (There, I made a new word: wreck + relic = wrelick.)

Ever see an attempt to "relic" a Rick guitar? Why would anyone do that? It simply doesn't sound like a desirable result. Besides, it would be pretty hard to duplicate decades of honest play wear and still keep the guitar body intact:
2011_-_031611_-_capri_b25-12_deluxe_reverb_014WEB.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jingle_jangle wrote:I don't know why I feel the need to nail this one down and convince anyone. I'm usually pretty much "let people do what they want" (except with Juliana, who needs a bit of reason in her busy life)...but this, more than any other language issue, bugs me at the moment.

So, I've convinced one person. OK, cjj--it's up to you to spread the gospel troof... :lol: :lol: :lol:
How about the transposition of the terms vibrato and tremolo that CLF did decades ago? Which bugs you more? :wink:
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Personally, I think if it's cool, it's mojo, if it's junky looking it's worn,scratched, missing paint etc

but, if one had to use an r word, I guess it would be relicking
fretbuzzard

Post by fretbuzzard »

libratune wrote:
Ever see an attempt to "relic" a Rick guitar? Why would anyone do that? It simply doesn't sound like a desirable result. Besides, it would be pretty hard to duplicate decades of honest play wear and still keep the guitar body intact:
2011_-_031611_-_capri_b25-12_deluxe_reverb_014WEB.jpg
I'm not interested in relics myself, but given the point that Paul makes about the skill sets involved in making a convincing relic I have a certain amount of admiration for a well-done relic-job. As for a relic RIckenbacker, I know that nitro takes to the process relatively well, and that poly is pretty much impossible to relic; how about CV? Granted it seems like most Rickenbacker owners will go to lengths to keep their guitars looking new so this would probably not have much appeal, but as a theoretical exercise, what would it take to make a new Rick look like a 50+ year old instrument? How does CV age compared to nitro or poly?
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Mateybob wrote:
jwilli wrote:Ho0w about "relic'd"? "Relic-d"? "Relicked" just doesn't look right. An even better idea is to ban the word from this Forum, ha. Nobody should have their Rickenbacker relicked or relic'd. Shouldn't have been licked in the first place! :lol:

+1 for Relic'd. :)

I respectfully disagree; the apostrophe indicates the possessive form; IMO, in lieu of stringing up the ding dong who thought the awful term and concept up, the form that makes the most sense from the perspective of correct punctuation is "relic-ing".

Either that, or the word should be "relicizing" and "relicized" with a soft "c".

"Reliced" obviously sounds like "re-liced" as in putting lice back into something, and we've already agreed that "relicking" sounds like licking something again after it was first licked.

Now that everyone's heads are spinning, I'll conclude. Cheers. :D
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

cjj wrote:Can you imagine if this bizarre concept took hold on other industries?

Say, for instance, the automotive industry. Take a brand new car off the production line, go after it with hammers, sand blasters and various chemical sprays to make it look just like a rusted out junker ready for the scrap heap...
:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've noticed a few very high end, new Mercedes Benzes on the freeway that were flat black (like primer). Is this a new automotive trend, relicing a new snooty-mobile?

Paul, is Paypalled (two l s) the correct spelling?

I got a Re-issue '60 lightly reliced Strat for Christmas a few years back and love it. Not only does it feel like my first Strat, a '64, but the "light" relicing is nearly identical to the '64's. Now I would be just as happy with a reissue that was in NOS condition, but this way I can play it and ding it and still sell it in "as new" condition!

Ok, when talking about microphones, people usually use "mic", not "mike" as shorthand. Therefore, I've always used "mic'd", as in "How were the drums mic'd?". Would the anal :wink: among us suggest the proper spelling be "micked"?
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

paologregorio wrote:
I respectfully disagree; the apostrophe indicates the possessive form
Oh? So what about the apostrophe in "He's relicking a smooth neck"?

Saxon genitives should be written linguistically correct attached to the word, not using an apostrophe to signal abbreviation of a word, plurals aren't written with apostrophe either. I bet english grammar and interpunction was decided in a game of rugby with a pint in the pub afterwards...
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Wildberry wrote:
paologregorio wrote:
I respectfully disagree; the apostrophe indicates the possessive form
Oh? So what about the apostrophe in "He's relicking a smooth neck"?
And then of course, there the exception for the possessive form of "it" where "it's" is a contraction for "it is" and not the possessive while "its" is possessive...
:roll: :roll: :roll:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...

Return to “Rules and Questions for Admin ONLY”