Timeouts loading pages

Rules, posting instructions and the latest news.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Timeouts loading pages

Post by cjj »

So, is anyone else experiencing timeouts when loading pages here on the RRF? I seem to be getting them quite often lately, but it only seems to be on the RRF. The RIC forum and numerous other sites seem to be fine.

I am a having issues with my DSL connection, it disconnects numerous times per day and reconnects at a lot slower speed than I'm paying for. I got a new modem (they made me buy it :evil: ) and still have that issue so I thought the RRF timeouts might be related. But since everything else seems to be just fine, I figured it was worth asking if anyone else is having issues...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
winston
Membership Admin

Re: Timeouts loading pages

Post by winston »

I am at my cabin and I am on a wifi connected to the internet via a radio transmitter and repeaters back to a central hub . The speed of my downloads and uploads as a result is relatively slow and I don't have any issues at all CJ. Hopefully that is helpful information.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I don't know. The error reported is "Error 7 (net: ERR_TIMED_OUT) The operation timed out". This is with Google Chrome. I'll have to give it a try with a few other browsers and see if it happens with them too. The DSL issue is something I've been fighting for a few months, the timeouts on the RRF are only about a week old. I'll be able to load a few pages fine, then the next few will get the timeout. Reloading then a few times results in the same error, then all at once I'll be able to load things just fine. Again, this only seems to be with RRF pages, other sites seem to be fine, even forum sites based on PHPBB. Definitely odd..
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Probably Google having to send all kinds of stolen data on you first :twisted:

Anyway, website works fine, even on my lousy ISP's dinner time service when it usually is slower than rest of day!
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I think you might be right! :lol:

I opened Firefox and had it sitting right next to my chrome window, ready to try to get to a timing out page. But chrome just wouldn't hit a timeout! I guess it knew I had another browser up. :lol:

Anyway, i did finally get a timeout, Firefox loaded the same page with no problems. Reloading with Chrome still hit a timeout while Firefox could reload just fine. I guess it's not just Microsoft these days who can mess up a perfectly working program with an update...
:roll:
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

cjj wrote:a perfectly working program
That, Sir, is not an accurate description of Google Chrome :P

Anyway, glad you figured it was just an error located between keyboard and chair :lol:
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Wildberry wrote:

Anyway, glad you figured it was just an error located between keyboard and chair :lol:
That's what happens when you surf from the comfort of a "rocker" on the porch................... :mrgreen:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Wildberry wrote:
cjj wrote:a perfectly working program
That, Sir, is not an accurate description of Google Chrome :P

Well, I suppose that would be true if you consider that the basic error was trying to use Chrome in the first place.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been using both Chrome and Firefox for quire some time (and IE when I have to :evil: ). There are definitely some nice things about Chrome and for the most part I have had fewer problems than with Firefox (until this little timeout issue, that is). Of course, a lot depends on what one does, etc. so YMMV...
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

winston wrote:
Wildberry wrote:

That's what happens when you surf from the comfort of a "rocker" on the porch................... :mrgreen:
Hey! :evil:

How did you know?
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

cjj wrote:
winston wrote:
Wildberry wrote:

Hey! :evil:

How did you know?
I called the NSA and they took a satellite photo for me...............and there you were in your rocker, on the porch, laptop on knee, gazing out over your vast grasslands at your collection of tractors. Obviously the laptop had stopped working. A man has to have something to admire after all. :lol: :lol: :lol:

They deemed you to be harmless btw. :lol: :lol: :lol:

electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

cjj wrote:How did you know?
Google Chrome with the all new Porchview :twisted:
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I couldn't get Google Chrome to work for me Werner............. :lol: :lol: :lol:

cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

winston wrote:
I called the NSA .....
Actually, that might not be too far from the truth. Long ago, in another life, I worked for a big defense contractor on some super secret stuff that required special clearances and such. I wouldn't be surprised if they're still keeping track of me...
:shock:
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

cjj wrote:
winston wrote:
I called the NSA .....
Actually, that might not be too far from the truth. Long ago, in another life, I worked for a big defense contractor on some super secret stuff that required special clearances and such. I wouldn't be surprised if they're still keeping track of me...
:shock:
I know! :mrgreen:

Return to “Rules and Questions for Admin ONLY”