Infected page...

Rules, posting instructions and the latest news.
manta
Intermediate Member

Re: Infected page...

Post by manta »

Hi James,

Viruses are for PC computers. Get a MAC and you don't have to understand 100% of this.
Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

manta wrote:Viruses are for PC computers. Get a MAC and you don't have to understand 100% of this.
Indeed, so you think you are safe while in the meantime more and more viruses for Mac OS get written and spread :lol: :twisted: :lol:

Apple is the prime example of what all marketeers want: turn their consumers into gullible zombies :lol: :wink: :P
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

Hi Werner:

My experience:

PC - 8 years = 6 viruses and some expense involved as well...

Mac - 12 years = 0 viruses.

Nohing is perfect, but MACs rarely get viruses. That's just a fact.

Get a MAc and spend more time playing a RIC. (and try Garage Band while you're at it)
Manta (Tim Rock)
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

My experience:

First computer Schneider/Amstrad, first computer used for more than games Macintosh (a guy in seniorhome thought our school could use modern stuff in 1985, so we had these brand new systems!).

PC since 1991 - 6 virusses, 1 trojan, all installed myself, all removed manually myself. The average user can't be trusted to keep his/her computer clean, imo. I don't have any firewall or anti-virus software. Now, if I would go to dubious websites that might be a problem... but why would I go to a website to get something one normally has to pay for? I think it's people's own fault. As for attachments in emails, I know how people write emails and send me stuff, virusses just are not the same! In my opinion it's not the PC or the Mac that gets a virus but the user!

I never record stuff. It keeps me from playing my Ric by having to learn software... most modern viruses are meant to steal info and as such more and more OS independent.
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

Hi Werner,

That that's really true.

Most people get viruses from clicking on something hey shouldn't or exchanging USB drives, etc.

Being careful and a bit of knowledge keeps you on the very safe side.
Manta (Tim Rock)
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

manta wrote:Being careful and a bit of knowledge keeps you on the very safe side.
My bro-in-law is, but still even he manages to somehow get distracted and click something that's not an error message, but some sort of pop-up.

I do have ABP and Ghostery for FF - and not Java installed - that all helps a lot, as well.

What still is beyond me how they could ever create the JPEG standard in a way that it actually can contain something malware!
Badanovski

Post by Badanovski »

Wildberry wrote:My experience:

I never record stuff. It keeps me from playing my Ric by having to learn software....
Yes but once you learn the software. I've written more songs in the last 5 or 6 years since I started computer recording than I did in the previous 35 years. It becomes so easy to see what works & what doesn't & to rearrange. I end up playing more now. Of course, are the songs any better now than they were then? Hmmm LOL
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

I agree. The MAc and PC software now is quite user friendly for playing and recording and quite addictive once you get things hooked up. I think you mat find yourself playing more.
Manta (Tim Rock)
Halbert

Post by Halbert »

Werner, that's a pretty good record for avoiding computer security problems. If you don't have any anti-virus software running, unless you have no contact with any other computers, I would highly recommend you go get something. Even the most careful and savvy user can occaisionally get an infection. It is true that if you know what your doing and are careful you can avoid most trouble, but without security software you could have something and not have a clue. Your computer could be taking part in DDOS attacks while you blissfully post on RRF.
For Windows, I have found Microsoft Security Essentials to be reasonably good and not a bother. I know it sounds like Microsoft has diversified into bath and beauty products, but its not too bad and it plays well with other internet security products.

Return to “Rules and Questions for Admin ONLY”