RickResource Forum Joins Facebook

Rules, posting instructions and the latest news.
jfine
Professional Player

Re: RickResource Forum Joins Facebook

Post by jfine »

I joined the RickResource Facebook page the other night, and tonight I wound up opting out of the group. It has nothing to do with anyone on this forum, or Facebook for that matter--I really enjoy this forum and I'm usually on here most evenings, but I found that every time someone posts on the Facebook page, I get an e-mail, about 30 a day, and my inbox was getting clogged! I will certainly continue to post on here if and when I have something to contribute, but like I said, I just don't have the time or the desire to deal with all those e-mails. I also don't do Facebook very often, or very well--some people live on it, but not me! I do enjoy the official Rickenbacker Facebook page--I check that one out periodically too.
berth
RRF Consultant

Post by berth »

Recieving emails (or not) is a setting somewhere.
68 4001|73 4001 MG|75 4000 MG|79 4001 JG FL|81 4001S AZG|86 4003 MID/BT|86 4003 Shadow|88 4003s Blackstar|89 4003 Grey/BT FL|93 4004 Ci|96 4003S/8 FG|98 4003S/5 JG|05 650D|05 4004Cii/5 TG|08 660/12 JG|18 4003S/5 MID|19 4003S/5 WAL ||TR35B|RB 30||
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes Bert it is a setting under notifications. A couple of mouse-clicks and the emails stop.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

I guess my only worry is that the Forum will be used less. It is it's own world too. But so many peeps are on FB now, I suspect it will take on a life of its own. Will be fun to watch.
Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tim: There are significant differences in the formats of each. Some are more familiar with Facebook before visiting the RRF and find the Forum takes some getting used to. I found just the opposite when trying to learn the bells and whistles of Facebook.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

Yea, I know. FB is part of my keeping social regimen for biz as much as pleasure. The Forum has more substance. Facebook is quicker. Simple eye & mind candy not too far away from Tweeting. I actually spend A LOT of time on FB, but I really value the Forum's true value of depth and resources (and sense of humor). RRF+FB = A valiant move. Should go well but please Forumites, don't neglect Mother RRF.
Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

By the way, I shore enough love the sea theme on your FB. :lol:

johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

manta wrote:Should go well but please Forumites, don't neglect Mother RRF.
I couldn't agree more.

Unfortunately, as much as I want to support Peter, I can't support the Facebook effort.

First, I just won't do Facebook (notwithstanding the official page we have run by the younger folks in the company). To my eyes it has no meat and the interface just looks amateurish. (To be fair, so does Google to me . . .) As it exists now, it seems to be a colossal time waster.

Second, it seems like it was set up as the RRF trash heap. All of the things that were recently repaired here and other refinements made during the years ended up being tossed out and the trash dumped over there.
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

jfine wrote:I joined the RickResource Facebook page the other night, and tonight I wound up opting out of the group. It has nothing to do with anyone on this forum, or Facebook for that matter--I really enjoy this forum and I'm usually on here most evenings, but I found that every time someone posts on the Facebook page, I get an e-mail, about 30 a day, and my inbox was getting clogged! I will certainly continue to post on here if and when I have something to contribute, but like I said, I just don't have the time or the desire to deal with all those e-mails. I also don't do Facebook very often, or very well--some people live on it, but not me! I do enjoy the official Rickenbacker Facebook page--I check that one out periodically too.
The format is definitely different Jon.

There IS an option to OPT out of the Email notifications. Just go to the NOTIFICATION TAB on the right, and CLICK ON or OFF. NO MORE EMails! :)

I HAD to because I have the FB site is LINKED to my Android phone, and the NOTIFICATION tone was going off 24/7. It would KILL my 18 hour extended battery in 5 hours!

I just manually take a peak multiple times a day. I REALLY HOPE we can one day soon get an APP or APPLICATION up and running for the Iphone & the Android.
It is the BEST of both worlds. Quick, easy access to the actual FORUM for those on the run. Talkbass has one and I spend more time on that mobile site than on my laptop!

The YOUNGER generation really seems to like the format, and it is like a RRF LITE if you will. I've had a number of folks email me that they loved the idea....although, it can give you a headache pretty quickly! :lol:
DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

johnhall wrote: Unfortunately, as much as I want to support Peter, I can't support the Facebook effort.

First, I just won't do Facebook (notwithstanding the official page we have run by the younger folks in the company). To my eyes it has no meat and the interface just looks amateurish. (To be fair, so does Google to me . . .) As it exists now, it seems to be a colossal time waster.
A waste of time indeed. Nobody in my house -- my wife, my kids, nor myself -- participate in Facebook. We used to do Friendster & MySpace back in the day, and those were enough of a waste of time without 800 million people. Not only does Facebook seem like a waste of time to me as well, but I don't need people thinking they are my friend, or having a supposed a right to know what's happening in my life because they click an icon and type a vapid sentence in broken English. If people want to know me or claim to know me they can make plans to talk to my face.

I hope Peter doesn't mind if I quote him from a recent conversation we had over PM:
admin wrote:...one is never really sure of the context when discussing matters on a forum such as this. Who is paying attention, who is competent, who is impaired, who is disordered and so forth.
This encapsulates internet culture and internet communication beautifully; there's no inflection, body language, or anything else which constitutes real, functional communication. Only a small percentage of communication involves actual words: 7%, according to research; 55% of communication is visual (body language, eye contact) and 38% is vocal (pitch, speed, volume, tone of voice). Most of these things are lost in a medium such as this, so we're effectively communicating 93% less information when we just type a sentence. This is not considering that most sentences typed on internet forums, Facebook, and SMS are in broken English/internet short-hand, and usually devoid of punctuation or emphasis beyond misused exclamation points and comma splices. We're all becoming less able to adequately participate-in and interpret face-to-face communication, have less self-control/discipline, and a diminished capacity for self-expression as we give more credence to a significantly less-informational format. It's not like everyone is suddenly going to become better at expressing themselves in the written form; an individual's ability to express themselves adequately in-writing has been in a steep decline, and lack of ability to write clearly also leads to a lack of ability to comprehend reading.

(This post to be followed by emoticons, unsubstantiated references to passive mass-media like television shows/movies, non-informational I-statements, non-sequiturs, general hemming-and-hawing, etc.) :wink:

It's absolutely McLuhan's Gutenberg Galaxy, and the Tetrad of Media Effects; the technology presents itself as a tool for social interaction, so we externalize that ability for interaction, thus making us all more socially inept without the tool ... and not especially adept with it, either. Access to a keyboard for people who are not adequately trained to express themselves in the written form (a failure of the educational system) is not unlike when a child first starts to discover how to vocalize; lots of nonsense, grunting, whining, and tantrums. At least most parents continue to refine a child's ability to speak to varying extents; would that writing followed suit, but now we have essentially more writing with exponentially less training.

Certainly RickResource will garner more visibility by expanding its horizons to something as monumental and global as Facebook, but it's not for me. It makes sense in terms of promotion for businesses with 800 million people on the line, but otherwise I can find more productive and meaningful ways to occupy my time. I personally think an enhanced focus on "business" is the opposite of what the world needs right now, especially if it's at the cost of personal, qualitative substance and discipline.
Last edited by DriftSpace on Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

DriftSpace wrote:
johnhall wrote: Unfortunately, as much as I want to support Peter, I can't support the Facebook effort.

A waste of time indeed. Nobody in my house -- my wife, my kids, nor myself -- participate in Facebook. We used to do Friendster & MySpace back in the day, and those were enough of a waste of time without 800 million people. Not only does Facebook seem like a waste of time to me as well, but I don't need people thinking they are my friend or have a right to know what's happening in my life because they click a button with an icon on it and type a vapid sentence in broken English. If people want to know me or claim to know me they can make plans to talk to my face.

I hope Peter doesn't mind if I quote him from a recent conversation we had over PM:
admin wrote:...one is never really sure of the context when discussing matters on a forum such as this. Who is paying attention, who is competent, who is impaired, who is disordered and so forth.
This encapsulates internet culture and internet communication beautifully; there's no inflection, body language, or anything else which constitutes real, functional communication. Only a small percentage of communication involves actual words: 7%, according to research; 55% of communication is visual (body language, eye contact) and 38% is vocal (pitch, speed, volume, tone of voice). Most of these things are lost in a medium such as this, so we're effectively communicating 93% less information when we just type a sentence, which is not considering that most sentences typed on internet forums, Facebook, and SMS are in broken English/internet short-hand, and usually devoid of punctuation or emphasis beyond misused exclamation points and comma splices. We're all becoming less able to adequately participate-in and interpret face-to-face communication, have less self-control/discipline, and a diminished capacity for self-expression as we give more credence to a significantly less-informational format. It's not like everyone is suddenly going to become better at expressing themselves in the written form; an individual's ability to express themselves adequately in-writing has been in a steep decline, and lack of ability to write clearly also leads to a lack of ability to comprehend reading.

(This post to be followed by emoticons, unsubstantiated references to passive mass media like television shows/movies, non-informational I-statements, non-sequiturs, general hemming-and-hawing, etc.) :wink:

It's absolutely McLuhan's Gutenberg Galaxy, and the Tetrad of Media Effects; the technology presents itself as social interaction, and we externalize it, thus making us all more socially inept without it ... and not especially adept with it, either. Access to a keyboard for people who are not adequately trained to express themselves in the written form (a failure of the educational system) is not unlike when a child first starts to discover how to vocalize; lots of nonsense, grunting, and tantrums. At least most parents continue to refine a child's ability to speak to varying extents; would that writing followed suit, but now we have essentially more writing with exponentially less training.

Certainly RickResource will garner more visibility by expanding its horizons to something as monumental and global as Facebook, but it's not for me. It makes sense in terms of promotion for businesses with 800 million people on the line, but otherwise I can find more productive and meaningful ways to occupy my time. I personally think an enhanced focus on "business" is the opposite of what the world needs right now, especially if it's at the cost of personal, qualitative substance and discipline.
Interesting post.

I would hope that along with your feelings toward (or against) social interaction via the internet, you will find room to accept that all of the confluences, fests, get-togethers, parties and/or celebrations we have had all over the world and the lasting friendships/bonds that have developed are a direct result of social interaction via the world wide web. More specifically, this Forum.

Interpersonal communication has flourished, it is certainly not a weakness here among this membership....at least in my experience.
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

leftybass wrote: Interesting post.

I would hope that along with your feelings toward (or against) social interaction via the internet, you will find room to accept that all of the confluences, fests, get-togethers, parties and/or celebrations we have had all over the world and the lasting friendships/bonds that have developed are a direct result of social interaction via the world wide web. More specifically, this Forum.

Interpersonal communication has flourished, it is certainly not a weakness here among this membership....at least in my experience.
PERFECTLY said John, thank you.

I'm amazed at some of the friendships that I have been made through the forum whom I would have not had access otherwise.

On the OTHER hand, I was (at one time) perfectly content to have ONE Rickenbacker...that, if it wasn't because OF you guys, I'd have a few more shekels in my bank account. :wink: :lol:
DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

leftybass wrote: I would hope that along with your feelings toward (or against) social interaction via the internet, you will find room to accept that all of the confluences, fests, get-togethers, parties and/or celebrations we have had all over the world and the lasting friendships/bonds that have developed are a direct result of social interaction via the world wide web. More specifically, this Forum.

I did not assert -- nor would I -- that the internet is always necessarily a social detriment, as I am by no means an extremist, and there are always exceptions; I have certainly had many positive interactions on this site and many others, but I don't think it's trending that way for the various reasons stated above.

However, I absolutely love to be wrong about this stuff, seriously. :D

This forum is exceptional in many ways, which is how I interpret the reason Mr. Hall agreed with Mr. Rock that "Mother RRF" should not be neglected; to specifically preserve that exceptional quality.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

leftybass wrote:I would hope that along with your feelings toward (or against) social interaction via the internet, you will find room to accept that all of the confluences, fests, get-togethers, parties and/or celebrations we have had all over the world and the lasting friendships/bonds that have developed are a direct result of social interaction via the world wide web. More specifically, this Forum.

Indeed, I hope the RRF continues to provide exactly this type of environment. I personally don't think Facebook will provide the same spirit of comraderie and I also think it dilutes such efforts here, unfortunately.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

John: Your comments are appreciated. We have been here nearly 12 years and my plan is that we continue things just the same as we started. To learn all we can from one another about the history of Rickenbacker instruments through sharing our information with one another.

The RRF offers an organization and perspective that I do not think is possible with Facebook. It is my hope that some new RRF members may come from the Facebook page. Also some current members of RRF who have a Facebook page may find the RRF Facebook page convenient.

At the end of the day it is my plan that our database, Register and long-standing relationships will remain in place. Our journey in discussing all things Rickenbacker continues.

Sean: I am hoping the RRF will grow on you after you have been here a decade or so. :lol: Thanks for your comments.

Return to “Rules and Questions for Admin ONLY”