SITE GOING DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE

Rules, posting instructions and the latest news.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Re: SITE GOING DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE

Post by ken_j »

jps wrote:No style options, I see. I liked the warm colors of the old site as it looks better to my eyes and also helps differentiate this forum from all the other out there. :wink:
I agree.
cjj wrote:Looks like Internet Explorer puts them under the red banner too.
I use IE8 (I think) and yes they are under the banner but the letters are in white as is the background so they are not really visible. Changinging to a dark color would most likely be idea.
Untitled.jpg
"The best things in life aren't things."
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

ken_j wrote:
jps wrote:No style options, I see. I liked the warm colors of the old site as it looks better to my eyes and also helps differentiate this forum from all the other out there. :wink:
I agree.
cjj wrote:Looks like Internet Explorer puts them under the red banner too.
I use IE8 (I think) and yes they are under the banner but the letters are in white as is the background so they are not really visible. Changinging to a dark color would most likely be idea.
Untitled.jpg
As I mentioned in my edit above, the placement is a function of the window width. If the browser window is wide enough, they show in the red banner just fine. This should be able to be fixed so that they show in the correct location pretty much regardless of the width...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
rickinroma
RRF Consultant

Post by rickinroma »

well done! :)
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

I alternate between my iPad and my Vista laptop, both with Google Chrome. I can't really tell what looks good or not, but the makeover sure looks nice. Well done, Gil! :D
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I'm on Safari. I don't mean to be ungrateful, but I don't like the new look at all, sorry. I think I had subsilver, whichever the third option was on the last version. It put avatars on the left, and looked the best for blending in with my other windows at work so it doesn't look like I'm goofing off. Probably going to be visitng even less with this look.
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

jdogric12 wrote:I'm on Safari. I don't mean to be ungrateful, but I don't like the new look at all, sorry. I think I had subsilver, whichever the third option was on the last version. It put avatars on the left, and looked the best for blending in with my other windows at work so it doesn't look like I'm goofing off. Probably going to be visitng even less with this look.

Sadly, have to agree. Far less attractive than the old format and color scheme.
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Thanks for the comments guys.
We will continue working on the interface until it will accepted by the majority of the users.
We chose a very specific theme for wordpress and we want the forum and register to look streamlined with the wordpress theme. Currently we chose the bluish colors for the forum as the old colors simply looked bad with the current header.
If we find nicer warmer colors for the forum that will look good with the red bar on top we'll give them a shot.
As for the pricelist comment - I don't agree that it's useless and I think it's a very good tool that perhaps isn't as good for exotic instruments that rarely sell on eBay but it is very good for most of the popular items. However - I do agree that the location on the top was not suitable so I removed it.

As for IE7 support: not gonna happen, IE in general makes roughly 23.5% of the users in RR and out of them - 3.5% are using IE7 and down (which makes them < 1%...) and these numbers are slowly going down as well. The theme we chose needs IE9 (and I think that it might work on IE8 as well, not sure, I am installing a VM to check this out).
In general it should work fine in Chrome, Firefox, Safari and IE9.
I will work on the upper menu so it will break correctly on all browsers (currently it breaks okay in Firefox and in Chrome-unstable but chromium and other browsers put the links below the red line if the window size is too small, should not happen).
There is a long road before us, I hope everyone will eventually be happy with the change.

If someone wants to pick up the glove and suggest different colors for the forum that match the new red banner on the top I would very much like to see a mockup of a page.

Cheers.
So long and thanks for all the fish!
stuart

Post by stuart »

I like the new look. :) Much more like the Offset guitars forum.

Maybe some color tweaks here and there, but the interface is nice.
rickboy88
Intermediate Member

Post by rickboy88 »

My initial impression is that the site has a more "washed out" look, but overall it works. If there was a way to improve the darkness of the fonts it may help (especially the blue), but maybe I am imagining that (I use Firefox).

It was probably time for the old all black home page to go. Modern website design is more light background than dark background now a days.
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." Vince Lombardi
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Wot's all this wordpress business? Sounds like that's sparking most of the other look changes?
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

gibsonlp wrote:I hope that everyone would like it, or at least - get used to it :)
It's matching our new website, checkout the main page @ http://www.rickresource.com
Nice! However, we are now going into our 82nd year . . .
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks John. Time for an update. The correction has been made. I appreciate the feedback.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

OK...Two hours later I've come back for a second viewing...

To my eyes, the red everywhere IS the problem.

Red and blue are never a good combination, and thrown in with the black/grey bottom makes this currently look like some teenager from the late 80's first take at web design for a color perspective. Simply awful. The more I look the worse it gets.

As Jeff Scott pointed out, the old color scheme was far softer, warmer, and different, much like the Rickenbacker niche itself. This generic blue that almost seems to be "de rigueur" these days, along with an axe murderer's favorite color is nothing of the sort.

Sadly, it's even worse than the first time...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Wints. Your comments are appreciated. As mentioned we have some tweaking to do. Please tell us what you think. There is no need to sugarcoat it. :lol:
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Woah... what happened to my favorite Rickenbacker forum? I keep re-typing and deleting this message because I can't find a single positive thing to say. This looks like a high school project covered in a paint called generic.

Who's idea was it to put backwards text in the header and remove the instruments?

I've edited this again to try and bring a positive thought to the table. We all have different opinions, i've worked with a lot of people who had a particular artistic slant in their head that completely conflicted with what I thought made an appealing design. The best answer to the unsolveable question of personal taste, is options. If this is how the forum owners have decided they want their forum to look, so be it, but give the rest of us some options. Can't we just get the style selector back with the "Legacy" theme as a choice?

Return to “Rules and Questions for Admin ONLY”