Editing posts

Rules, posting instructions and the latest news.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Editing posts

Post by jingle_jangle »

...whereas anything edited from the "spelling errors highlighted" copy is the one retained on the board.

So this is my test.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

And tht's how it seems to be.

So, anybody who wants to do substantial editing should do it in the white text block.

Having tested this out, it follows that a post which is deleted in the "Spelling Errors Highlighted" stage, while it won't appear on the board, will appear in e-mail boxes of those who've indicated interest in the category on their profiles.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

― Kurt Vonnegut
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

just trying to get my posts up!
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Actually, those were all real posts, edited at various points in the posting process, to test out my theory.

So the second you hit the "preview and post" button, it sends the e-mail out to members. Then when you hit "post this message" it places it on the Forum.

At that point only Peter can change it.
― Kurt Vonnegut
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

I think I understand......
adam_swapp

Post by adam_swapp »

Huh?

I just added this last sentence by editing my initial post. Looks "substantial" to me...

And all of this (in multiple editing sessions). After you post, you have 2 hours(?) to change almost anything in the post. Just click on the edit icon in the upper right corner of the post. Adding an image after the fact seems to be a little tricky, though.
You want to put that where?
adam_swapp

Post by adam_swapp »

The edit icon: Image. It is your friend when prudence gets the better of emotion. Image
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That is correct at present you have two hours to edit your post, by clicking on the Edit Post icon next to the printer icon.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
adam_swapp

Post by adam_swapp »

Speaking of which, Peter: How's about making that editing window up a little longer (say 4 or 8 hours)? I sometimes find that, upon further reflection, I could have made my point with more brevity or clarity (or tact Image), but I no longer have the opportunity for self-censure. Case in point: I just tried to edit my comments about the blueburst guitar from 2-1/2 hours ago. Yes, I know that a little circumspection before posting would solve the problem, but I'm only human, ya know?

As long as I'm on the subject: it doesn't appear that you can add images while editing. Is that configurable?
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

If you're too late for editing you can always post a retraction or clarification but sadly you can't position it where you would like (i.e. immediately under your original post). If other forumites have jumped in your second post can be too far away. I've regretted posting some stuff or realised that I could have put it better or not at all too late in the piece.

Then again, one would hope that unless personal abuse or vilification is involved, your first thoughts are often the true ones.

Stay human, Adam - it suits you! Image
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Hey, cool, Adam! I ignored those icons and now I know what the left hand one is. Thanks for clarifying this for me.

My initial observation still stands, though. The first time you hit "Preview/Post", your message goes out as e-mail, but does not hit the Forum. The second time you hit the "Post this Message" button, it goes onto the Forum.

Adding the 2 hour window gives another dimension of user control. Very cool indeed.
― Kurt Vonnegut
oreca
Intermediate Member

Post by oreca »

In your options you can actually remove that second page like I did.
I just re-read my message like normal on the forum and Edit it if needed afterwards.

Since I'm thinking about it I figured I'd post about it...
I use the option to save my Username and Password and ever since I've started visiting this forum, which doesn't seem like too long ago but it actually has been awhile, it would keep my Username fine but it enters something in the Password field which is the right amount of characters but is incorrect.

Atleast I don't have to type my nickname all the time. Image

Return to “Rules and Questions for Admin ONLY”