Measurement in Resistance of Lap Steel Pickups

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

admin
Site Admin

Measurement in Resistance of Lap Steel Pickups

Post by admin »

Richard: There has been much discussion with regard to the resistance of the pickups on Rickenbacker guitars over the years. the toasters have ranged from about 4-8 K Ohms. There is no standard reported in the measurements provided by owners and so the margin for error may be considerable. As the horseshoe (1 1/2 inch) pickup has been touted as perhaps the sweetest sounding of all, I am wondering if you have ever measured its resistance?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jasonlollar

Post by jasonlollar »

Not meaning to step on anyones toes, I am new here but I have measured alot of them and re-built/restored probably around 100 units. The 1-1/2" are around 1.68- 2K, its heavy gauge wire so it doesnt compare to modern pickups. Some of the 1-1/4" are the same but they later went to a finer gauge wire.
The earliest one I have seen had a square bobbin and had the heavy gauge wire but it had more turns than the later 1-1/2".
I would be interested in hearing what anyone else has found, it has taken me quite some time to figure out whats what with the various rick steel pickups.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jason: A very belated thank you for this information. By all means give us the benefit of your knowledge and experience with regard to these pickups. I would be interested to know which ones you prefer with respect to sound.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jasonlollar

Post by jasonlollar »

I dont look through here very often I usually go to the Steel Guitar Forum, gets more action, not complaining. The Ricks are really considered by a large percentage of players to be the pinnacle of lap steels and for good reason. They are the stuff.
I think more of the tone difference in in the guitar than the pickups, the earlier string through bodies do have a bit fuller sound and sustain but not a whole lot.
Beleive it or not I have taken one pickup, wound it with 38 gauge took it apart wound it to the same turn count with 42 gauge and really couldnt hear much of a difference then went on to fool around with turn count for the rest of the day.
On a more modern design using different wire gauge would be more likely to affect tone.
There is a magic turn count that you can wind to which is slightly over stock that will fill out the frequency response regardless of shoe size.
I think any of them can sound good if the pickup is working properly.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”