Recommend a1st steel?

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

tony_carey
Advanced Member

Recommend a1st steel?

Post by tony_carey »

I know NOTHING about lap steels, but have fancied one for a while now. What do you recommend as an entry Ric lap steel. Not too expensive, but not too old to be a player. I'd love to get into them.
'Rickenbacker'...what a name! After all these years, it still thrills me.
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Excellent question, Tony. I've been wondering myself. I imported this from the US about a month ago:

But I'd still like to get a Rickenbacker!!
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Tony,
I don't know how much your're willing to spend, but here's the rundown on Ric lap steels as I see it. All but a few models sound good and are 22.5" scale length. They range in price from around $300 for the postwar model NS and some of the model 100 series to nearly $4000 for an A25 frypan.

If you are trying to keep the price below $500, I would go for the Model 59.
http://www.stthomasu.ca/~pmccorm/research/model59.jpg
It is a prewar model made of stamped metal. It has the 1 1/2" pickup, which is most desirable and sounds very good. These have recently sold on Ebay for as little as $350, but usually they go for $400-$500 in really great shape.
If you're willing to spend around $600-$800, I would consider a postwar B6.
http://www.stthomasu.ca/~pmccorm/research/modelb6pwall.jpg
Hope this helps.
matz

Post by matz »

Howard, Take a look at Ebay item# 7342782764 or look under Lap Steel Guitar. Its a Maxim made in Australia during the 40s or early 50s. Has horseshoe pickup like a Ricky. $350AU starting bid. A piece of Australiana. Aloha, David.
Australian citizen, resident alien.
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Thanks, David. I'll do just that........

Ahoy, me hearty!! Image
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
tony_carey
Advanced Member

Post by tony_carey »

Thanks for the info Richard....I'll check them out.
'Rickenbacker'...what a name! After all these years, it still thrills me.
matz

Post by matz »

Anthony, Richard is "the Man" on this subject, but something you might consider. The bakelites are fragile and prone to neck brakes. I think they reenforced the post war ones but I'm not sure how well. They do sound great though, even if they require a little extra care. DM
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

David,
I checked out the neck breakage issue on the SGF.
You really have to try to hurt those things. In other words drop it on a hard surface or use it as a weapon to break the neck or body. Bakelite is brittle and will chip easily if you drop a tone bar on the edge, but it's really hard to break. These are not my observations, rather from people who have owned and played them for more than 50 years.
As a side note that Ebay steel you mentioned 7342782764 is pretty cool. It looks like an Epiphone body from the late 30s with a Rick horseshoe pickup. Epi did make lap steels with similar hardware, specifically the Model M.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/r_shatz/detail?.dir=fd4a&.dnm=afbd.jpg&.src=ph
matz

Post by matz »

Hello Richard, Maybe I'm overly cautious about bakelite. There seems to be a number around with necks broken at the tenth fret, love em just the same. That Aussie steel is not much on the American market but it is interesting when you consider that at the time it was made, Australia had a population of about 8 millions. BTW there is a photo of Tommy Castro with the Ray Kinney band found in the Johhny Noble book. He has a style M Epi tucked under his arm. They must have been well thought of. While we are on a post originally about the cost of Rickys, what do you think a fair price would be for one of those double neck Model Ds? It's one of my pipe-dreams Aloha, David.
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Is this what you're looking for?Image
raiello

Post by raiello »

Or maybe this ...

rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

David,
Do you want a double 6 or double 8? I know someone with a great DC16 that he might want to sell. It's in great shape but no case.
Rick,
Yours is fabulous. Is it metalbody with Bakelite necks?
matz

Post by matz »

Wow! Those are some killer guitars! I have no idea what a fair price would be for them. Also I don't know anything about eight string playing except that it seems a logical harmonic extension. I'll have to test out a cheapie. Like I said, Its a pipe dream, my wife would not let me buy another guitar because we are saving up for a trip to Australia, 07. But I'll know who to contact when things are right. DM
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

David,
Just for reference, the DC12 is for sale at Gruhn's for $1050.
I think you can get the DC16 for around $800. I have no stake or profit potential, but I don't thing you'll find a better deal.
raiello

Post by raiello »

Richard, that's a 1938 D14 ... bakelite necks and cast aluminum body (painted with black "krinkle" paint).

Bobby Ingano was over this summer and had never seen one before ...

The height adjustment for the pup is underneath ... very unusual ... and very cool Image

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”