What Is The Value of My Frying Pan?

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

admin
Site Admin

What Is The Value of My Frying Pan?

Post by admin »

I own a Rickenbacher Electro Hawaiian Lap Steel (Frying Pan), serial number A 410. Can you tell me about it, including value?
Thanks,
Fred White
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

The frypan is post-war, probably 1946-1948.
The post war frypans fetch far less than the pre-war models. There aren't a lot of these out there, that I've seen, probably because not many were made. Other models of that era were much more popular and sounded better to most ears. The main problem with metal lap steels is that they don't hold their tuning as well as wood or bakelite instruments. That's not to say that it's not a great instrument.

I have seen these go as high as $1000 in perfect shape with a good case. Most sell in the $400-$500 range.
fwhite

Post by fwhite »

Thanks so much for the info. I picked this thing up in Honolulu 20 years ago during my first tour of duty in the Coast Guard. Since then I've packed it up each and every time I've been transfered, not knowing anything about it. Finally got some time on my hands, on leave this week, and thought I'd do a little research. Lucky I came across this web site and found you guys. It's certainly not in perfect shape, but I did take it to the music store today and had them plug it in, and it worked like a champ. Pretty cool. Thanks again for the help!
Fred

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”