Is my lap steel Electro related to Rickenbacker?

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Sandra

Is my lap steel Electro related to Rickenbacker?

Post by Sandra »

I've recently aquired a lap steel and I'm trying to get some history on it. It has a metal plate on the side that reads Electro, but on the face it reads Stringtone. Any information would be appreciated.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sandra: In the beginning, Electro String Instrument Corporation manufactured "Rickenbacker" brand products. Electro produced guitars under other names including, but not necessarily limited to, Ryder, Symphonia Grand, Academy, NHF, and Contello. It is likely that other names were used as well and perhaps "Stringtone." Your Electro is a relative of Rickenbacker.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
sandra

Post by sandra »

Thanks for the information! Can someone direct me to a website or some other source so I can identify the year (and its worth). I only have a pat. no. for it.
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Please post a photo.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Richard: This is the best photo submitted by Sandra for identification purposes. I have asked her for more detailed close up photos. It looks to be a Model 102 to me.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

If it has the Electro badge on it, then this is a Model EH-1. If it has flanges on the bottom for screw-on legs, then it's an EH-3.

If it has a Rickenbacker nameplate, it's a Model 101 without flanges, or a 103 with.

It can't be a 102 because it has an under-string pickup. The 100, 102 and 105 were equipped with over-string pickups but otherwise identical.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks John. It has an Electro badge on it and is without flanges so this narrows it down to the EH-3 then. I will post the additional photos when they arrive.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Here are the photos showing the electro nameplate and the stringtone name near the bridge.

johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

The Stringtone unit is an accessory string bender added after the guitar left the factory. Essentially it makes the instrument perform like an imprecise pedal steel, but with a vibrato-like hand motion. I'd forgotten that these existed and that it was a Rowe-DeArmond product.
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

John Hall's posting is very informative. My guess would have been that this instrument is a late variant of the Model 100 series. I was completely unaware of the EH models. It would be great if photos and specs of the EH models were posted on this site.
I would be interested to know the production year. The instrument appears to have a high gain pickup with exposed poles, which I think was made in the late "60s or early "70s.
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

Thanks Guys! I appreciate the attention to my posting.
Sandra

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”