It's a beaut, but what is it...

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

anonymous

It's a beaut, but what is it...

Post by anonymous »

Hey everybody,
I got this guitar, but I don't know exactly what it is. I can find no pic, no schem, no nothing... Stamped into the head stock is B687.
the Pat. # on the vib-rola is 1839395
Check out these pictures at image station.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291149405

The password is sellme

if you don't have an account, use this one:
Login: sellme
P/word: electro

guys, please tell me what I got....
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Chris: Please email some photos to peter@rickresource.com as the link you provide does not easily yield photos.
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

This is the best photo I can get for the time being. Image This would appear to be an Electro Spanish Model, however, additional photos would be more helpful in dating the instrument and allowing for an appraisal. I trust Richard Shatz will be more helpful, although he is going to need better photos. Please send them along so that they may be posted for further analysis and discussion.
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

This looks very much like the B6 lap steel, but the body configurations is slightly different.

Your instrument is a Richenbacher Electro Spanish, ca. 1935, with what appears to be a motorized vibrato unit (Vibrola) built into the guitar. They are very rare.

It is not a lap steel. It is a true Spanish guitar. Many experts consider this piece to be the first solid body Spanish electric guitar ever produced commercially. Electric lap steels came several years earlier.

As clean as this one looks, it is worth some serious money, probably at least $3000 to a serious vintage guitar collector, if it works and has all the original hardware and electronics.

I had some difficulty accessing the photos through the posted link, so I can't comment further, but it looks like you have something really special.

This one is definitely a keeper. It will only appreciate in value. Congratulations on this spectacular find.
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Mr. Shatz,
I'm standing here um... a little shocked. I was really not expecting her to be such a valuable peice. I'm still very interested in selling the guitar how ever. If you know of anybody who might be interested, please let me/ them know. I find your estimate a good price to go by... please let me know. You can contact me directly at

sellme@hotmail.com

Again, thank you for all of your help. Also, if you would like the pics, I can send them to you. For all your time and aid again thank you,

chris
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Chris: Perhaps you could give us some feeback on what became of your 1935 Electro Spanish guitar.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”