BD 6 ??

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Dave_Eldredge

BD 6 ??

Post by Dave_Eldredge »

I have a Rickenbacker that is virtually identical to the BD6 listed on the official Rick site, except that the plates are the domed chrome variety. It has the cover over the string adjusting posts with the arrowhead Rickenbacker logo, two controls like the one shown. Mono output jack with no plate there or numbers. It has what appears to be the original hard case which is rectangular. The pots have following numbers:
BA011-139
200m - 02

On the tail piece is: Pat No 2089171 and the pickup is the 1.25 wide variety. The pickup has Phillips head adjusting screws. Can't find any other identifying marks. Any idea what pedigree this critter has?

Dave Eldredge
alconda@alaska.com
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Dave,
Many of the Model BD had chrome plates. I have one. The BD was made from 1950-1971. I don't know of any BD models that had the T-Logo, which last appeared in 1950.
The pot code only indicates that the pot was made in either 1950 or 1960. If the code 134043 is ink stamped,that would indicate 1950. If impressed it could mean 1950 or 1960.
That's the best I can do. It really doesn't matter whether it is 1950 or 1960 as there were no changes in the construction, specifications or appearance of this model over its more than 20 year production run.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dave: If you have the time would you please take several photos of your lap steel from different angles and submit them to the Rickenbacker Registration Page so that the features of which you speak can be shown to all. It would be much appreciated.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
David_Eldredge

Post by David_Eldredge »

Yes, I will take some pics. Also another note on dating. This unit has cotton insulation on the leads to the pots. I was told by an electrician that most lead wire manufacturers switched to plastic insulation in the early fifties.

And yeah, it might not be a collector's item but it sure is pretty. After 30 yrs. of acoustic playing suddenly I'm having fun again. I can't compare the sound - not many steel guitars in Alaska. Compared with a Gibson SG through a Showman and then the Rick through the same amp I wouldn't be ashamed to play it anywhere.

Take it away, Leon...
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

David,
I consider this instrument a collectors item. When you see them, which is rarely, they bring more money than any postwar Rickenbacker lap steel with the exception of the Model G.
These are great looking instruments and are fairly rare compared to the B6 of that era. Enjoy.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”