Ricky ? No not really

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

kelvin

Ricky ? No not really

Post by kelvin »

Thought it may be of interest to see my early 40,s Aussie Steel.Has a very hot horseshoe pickup and appears to be a Ricky copy.It was originally hard wired and so has had the jack socket added later.The white panels are Celluloid and the tuners and knobs have been changed.The centre paned houses a huge 2"long capacitor and the pots are the large old style with bakelite.I find it interesting that such a copy would have been made so long ago especially the Horseshoe pickup it looks so close to an opriginal it's even 1 1/2".Image
matz

Post by matz »

Kelvin, That senario was not all that uncommon before the economic boom around 1965-70. When I was a kid, late fifties early sixties, there were a lot of stratocaster copies around Sydney too. They were usually made in the shed at the bottom of the backyard. People were living on 20 bucks a week, they couldn't afford to import a lot of stuff. I'm going to try to upload a picture of another Aussie Rick that came up on ebay recently, keep your fingers crossed, I'm computer illiterate. Aloha, David. Image
Australian citizen, resident alien.
matz

Post by matz »

Kelvin, That senario was not all that uncommon before the economic boom around 1965-70. When I was a kid, late fifties early sixties, there were a lot of stratocaster copies around Sydney too. They were usually made in the shed at the bottom of the backyard. People were living on 20 bucks a week, they couldn't afford to import a lot of stuff. I'm going to try to upload a picture of another Aussie Rick that came up on ebay recently, keep your fingers crossed, I'm computer illiterate. Aloha, David. Image
matz

Post by matz »

Well second time got it, but I can't figure out how to scrub the first. DM
kelvin

Post by kelvin »

David,thanks for the pic that green one looks like the same builder although a later model.I knew the builder back in the 60's he made me a couple of amps around '63 his name was Peter Mc Carthy his amp line was called Maxim and he built a few one off special order guitars.He rarely put a name on his equipment which always made it difficult to pin down.His Horseshoe pickups are awesome very hot,top end of a very good telly and the balls of a P90.His shop was in Richmond Melbourne.Kelvin
matz

Post by matz »

Kelvin,That period of Australian improv and design is really interesting to me. I'm going to look for a Maxim when I return to Aust. There are a couple of posts about Maxims on the HSGA forum. Regards, DM
matz

Post by matz »

Kelvin, About that last post, I finally put 2 and 2 together. Pretty swift huh?
porge

Post by porge »

To add my .02c to this one, I also have a Moody made Fakenbacher, and have played a Maxim (the maxim was killer!!). My Moody has gold plated parts, mahogany body, was a gift from slide genius Jeff Lang (check out www.jefflang.com.au, or go to see him when he's in your neck of the world). It's also signed by R.L Burnside, BTW
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Hey, Kelvin! Another Aussie member.......... welcome!! Image
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
kelvin

Post by kelvin »

Thanks Howard.Andrew I did not know Moody made guitars I owned a Moody Amp back in the 60,s.Love to see a pic. Cheers
porge

Post by porge »

Hey Kelvin,

Moddy did have some limited guitar production. I think the steel pictured at the top may be a moody? I've seen at least one moody regular electric (ie, non-steel).

The Maxim I played is owned by Jeff Lang, and if I remember rightly, included an Amp-case.

I'm currently moving, and will post a pic when I'm back on deck. Mine has been (I think) refinished natural. It must have suffered a broken coil, as there is a telecaster bridge pickup inside he horsehoe. Would love to know polespacing/coil hieght to wind up a pickup (never done before, but can't see it being terribly difficult...famous last words!)

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”