What 100-esque model is mine?

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

michaelk

What 100-esque model is mine?

Post by michaelk »

These pics are of an Electro I bought a while back and decided to investigate. I know that it's of little collectible value, but I love its sound and I just want to know more. I have seen pics of similar models designated either Model 102 or 105.

There's an old thread on this forum with pictures of an identical model, where Richard Shatz says,"The model 102 with the Fireglo finish was only produced in 1961." But it seems to me this is clearly Fireglo and you can see from the serial number that it's made in 1964 (I obscured the remainder of the number so the pics don't show up on EBay unless I put them there).

Any ideas what this might be if not a 102? If it's a 105, what's the difference between that and the model shown in the link above?

(EDIT - I guess image links don't work here, so I'll upload attachments)

Thanks to any and all --
michaelk

Post by michaelk »

Great, attachments can only be 36k or smaller... I'll post them when I have the time to make them.
michaelk

Post by michaelk »

OK, let's try this:

rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Definitely a model 102 produced in 1964.
The info posted on the old thread is obviously incorrect. It was obtained from the 1991 edition of Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars, which indicates the fireglo was only produced as a factory run in 1961.
Fireglo was available as a custom finish as early as 1960. So, your 102 was probably ordered with this custom finish.
Other 100 series info from Gruhn's Guide:
Model 100: earliest models with white speckles on black paint, then light gray or silver gray, by 1955.
Model 102: Natural finish, 1957. Fireglo, 1961 only.
Model 105: Gray or natural finish, 3 legs, 1959.
100 series discontinued in 1971.
The 100 series models have become somewhat more popular since that six year old post. They really do sound great and some players are beginning to appreciate that.
I think one of these sold on Ebay for more than $500.
michaelk

Post by michaelk »

Hey, it wasn't a bad investment after all! It's done better than my stock portfolio.

Thank you, Richard.

Interesting that the book only says the 105 was gray or natural. When I was looking for pictures on the web I came across this photo of an instrument that had been for in a store not far from me, clearly Fireglo as well:

I know nothing about this one, it must have sold a while ago. The picture is all that remains on the web.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”